The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Web colours not working correctly in OmniWeb? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys

I've been working on a site and the colour is matched between an image and the background perfectly in Photoshop and QuarkXPress (the program being used for the webdesign), and it looks fine in Opera and Firefox...but not OmniWeb, as unlike the other browsers it shows the logo (which is an sRGB jpeg), as a bit darker than the actual web background. I have made sure that the background of both the website and the image is Web Safe. Please take a look:

http://honeyandthemoon.co.uk/CUPOFTEA/cot.htm

Can someone please tell me why this is? I find it a little baffling and can't really find the answer as to why this is happening.

Thanks guys

Steve.

Hey Steeve,

It maybe has something to do with the web engine (WebKit). Why I think so?

Your site is looking the same in OmniWeb and Safari 3. The background of the image is indeed a bit darker.

What you could do is use CSS and very small background image (e.g.30x30px), like:

body {
background: url(images/tiny_background_image.png);
}

That way you can be sure that the color has to match since both are pictures. Used as above the tiny background image is repeated.

Since I have too much time on my hands, I made a quick example showing the difference. Used the same RGB color as in your example: http://www.supertom.info/showoff/

o/
Thomas

Last edited by supertom; 2009-03-29 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: add link to example site

Well, for what it is worth, it renders identically in Safari (perhaps not surprising given that they share the rendering code). Are you certain you've got all your color profiles and so on set up properly?

Do you have the following Coloursync setting on or off in the Page Appearance settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Do you have the following Coloursync setting on or off in the Page Appearance settings?
For me it doesn't make any difference.
My LCD is using the default 'Color LCD' color profile - in case that matters.

I'm pretty sure it must be because you are saving your image with a Colour Profile attached and WebKit is interpreting the profile for the display (given that Safari also has the same issue). See the link below which may or may not help! It seems that the source of the problem is confused...

http://www.viget.com/inspire/the-mys...b-color-shift/

N.B. Toggling the ColourSync setting did nothing for me either, so maybe that is a bug in OmniWeb.

Edit: By bug, I mean one that is causing the setting to stay permanently on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I'm pretty sure it must be because you are saving your image with a Colour Profile attached and WebKit is interpreting the profile for the display (given that Safari also has the same issue). See the link below which may or may not help! It seems that the source of the problem is confused...

http://www.viget.com/inspire/the-mys...b-color-shift/
Just for fun (as I'm not the one bugged with that problem but interested), I followed the link you provided ... and you're right. If there's no color profile attached then the colors do match as with FF and Opera.

Would be interesting to know how to do it with GIMP since I don't own Photoshop. Well, let's see.

Thanks,
Thomas