The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Feature Request: Alarm or Reminder [A: Supported, install Growl.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelmore View Post
Hopefully the iCal synchronization will take care of all of that.

Personally, I'd rather have a good task management program that can interoperate with a good calendaring/notification program, than have all of these programs have overlapping and duplicate functions.
What if you don't use iCal or any calendaring application? I don't really have a rigid schedule and I don't have a lot of appointments or meetings so keeping iCal open for the couple of items a week that I might have to remember to do something is overkill and unlikely to stick behaviorally and because my routine is not fixed it is even more important that I am alerted about important pending tasks lest they slip through the cracks.

To do items often reoccur and are time sensitive, that's why so many people held off on using OF until the repeat functionality was implemented even though technically they could have jerry-rigged something in iCal. A lot of people, including me, want all of this stuff in one place so we can focus on what needs to be done rather than dipping in and out of several programs.

Should the file attachment feature in OF be gotten rid of because the Finder already allows you to organize files? Why does iCal have To Do's if it's a calendar app? Programs that address overlapping concerns are going to have overlapping features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalt View Post
I don't really have a rigid schedule and I don't have a lot of appointments or meetings so keeping iCal open for the couple of items a week that I might have to remember to do something is overkill…

To do items often reoccur and are time sensitive, that's why so many people held off on using OF until the repeat functionality was implemented even though technically they could have jerry-rigged something in iCal.
I don't yet have a firm opinion on the "OF needs reminders" question, though I lean towards "against". But note that you don't have to have iCal open to be reminded of events. iCal alarms are issues whether or not iCal is running, unless you change a preference to disable that.

I currently use repeating iCal "appointments" to remind myself to do my evening and weekly reviews. It works well. Because I'm not frequently changing these reminders, I don't really have to develop a discipline of maintaining them in iCal. Once set up, they just work.

While waiting for the reminder question to be resolved for OmniFocus, you might give this use of iCal a try.

(I should note that reviews are the only items that I use reminders for. During my reviews I look at upcoming deadlines and adjust my focus accordingly.)

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2007-08-10 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: Clarified deadlines and reviews