The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interesting behavior with a cloaked domain Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I made a small wedding site for me & my bride to be using iWeb. I cloaked the .mac URL into a subdomain of my own domain. I did this because I wanted to post the site fast, make it easy for my fiancée to add to it & publish, and keep the URL simple for friends and family to remember.

I have reviewed our site in OmniWeb, Safari, & Firefox on my Mac and in Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer on my old PC. OmniWeb was the only browser that did not keep the URL cloaked when using the navigation bar to go to other pages.

I figured out this was happening because I had chosen to have links to other sites open in a new tab. Once I changed it to behave as the site directs it stayed cloaked. That's logical, but interestingly I have that same option chosen in both Firefox installations yet it maintains the cloaked URL.

This isn't a complaint or a bug report or a suggestion. I just found it something of interest, especially something developers using a cloaked domain might want to know about. I'd be interested if any of you advanced developers have an opinion on this (besides "you shouldn't use a cloaked domain because...."). Thanks.

For the curious, the site is at wedding.djrizzo.com.

If it doesn't work in Firefox, I think that's a bug there. It works as it should in OW, IMHO.

FWIW, I've been a web developer for over a decade, done sites for Adidas, Bayliner, Mt Dew, Pepsi, Yahoo, Microsoft, RealNetworks, Dell, AOL...