The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus Review (For iPhone) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'll tell you this: This is my first review of an app, (Trying to get in to this stuff) so bare with me, here. I'll try to make it short and simple.

OmniFocus is a very simple, but powerful task manager. The iPhone version is actually a lot more simple than the desktop version, but IMO, that's a lot better. Everything is right there for you; it's a VERY simple application. If you guys aren't familiar with this app, all you do is, create tasks for yourself, (usually by the Inbox). You click the Inbox, and tab the "+" button, and there you go.
You can put it into context, assign it as a project, set an alert, and you can even repeat the alert, (which most GTD apps don't allow you to do.) You can also add a photo if you like. You can also record audio. If you use a context, you can create something like: "Get some milk", or, "Get snacks," something along those lines. Then, you can file them in a "Groceries" context. You can view all of these to-do's by clicking "Relax". It's handy if you're on a trip and you'd want to do multiple things in a day. And, OmniFocus handles to-do's by location also, so it can group based on location. (You assign the location) So, for example, you can assign locations to the contexts, so, downtown Chicago, as a "shopping" location. Just tap the locations icon and it takes you to a screen where you can see all your tasks and actions by location. Tap the place near the context or task, and the maps app launches and shows you that location. You can also make projects if you're doing range of activities.
Syncing with mac is a breeze. When you download the OmniFocus application, just open the OmniFocus preferences and you can sync from there. The only downside, is, the desktop version is $80, and, with iPhone, you'll have to sync with MobileMe. (That's another $100 a year). I mean, to just get things done? That's a lot of money.
If you're just looking for a program to jot things down, get a cheeper application, and less serious. But, if you're always on the busy side, planning projects, going on trips, and having an amazing Mac application, OmniFocus is right for you.

Just an FYI that OmniGroup currently provides a free syncing service (I believe it's in beta so it may or may not be free in the future).

Actually, they are on record that the Omni Sync Service will remain free after it leaves beta. http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18092

Great. Good to know that there is a current alternative to MobileMe since it's probably too early to tell if iCloud will be able to provide the functionality that their sync algorithms need.

I would be very surprised if iCloud could not be used for this purpose; I think it is very likely that iCloud is going to use WebDAV for many things relating to file access, and that's what is used now by OmniFocus.

In time MobileMe will not be an option anyway-one either has a MobileMe account now until 6/2012 or else one will need to find another means to sync OmniFocus. I have MobileMe and I still use the Omni sync service as it appears to sync faster for me.

I use a MyDrive account to do syncing. This has worked much better than the OmniGroup service, which has been very slow for me (I'm in europe and their servers in seattle - if I remember correctly).