The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I really need a third category... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
From what I've gathered from the forum, I have only two options. I can view my tasks either via projects or via contexts. But I need a third category, status. Status could encompass categories such as delegated, pending/waiting for, scheduled, ASAP, reference, prospective/someday/maybe. The idea of creating contexts @delegated or @reference seems silly given the GTD meaning of context (environment(s) and/or resource(s) required to execute the task). And if I use a context to assign a status, I then can't assign a true context. For example, if my follow-up of a delegated task requires a phone call, I'm forced to make a choice as to whether I'll see it under @phone or under @delegated. Frustrating.

The other alternative is to create projects with status categories. But again, ultimately, I'm relegated to a similar compromise. I can (a) see a bunch tasks, unrelated, but for having a simiar status of, for example, delegated, in a "project" that is counter to the GTD definition. Or, (b) see the related tasks in the project to which these tasks belong. But I can't do both. Frustrating.

Thinking Rock is the only app I've seen that allows for one to filter according to status, context and project, simulateously. Unfortunately, it's UI is impossibly cluttered (especially in comparison to the clean UI of OmniFocus).

And so, I continue to live with hope that one day, an upcoming screencasts will have a third view mode next to projects and contexts that will read status.

Am I the only one?

I'd be interested to hear from the Omni Ninjas what the road map is to address issues re status...