The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating options? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanders View Post
So I guess what I want is to repeat the _date_ based on completion date, but repeat the _time_ based on assigned time. Basically if I check it off at any time on day N, the new task should start at 8 AM on day N+1 and be due at noon on N+1.
I completely concur that this option would be very helpful to keep track of daily recurring tasks that don't always get done...the current behavior ends up giving you only two options:

1) Have to check off tasks that you did not do (!) because its repeating every single day (when using 'assigned date')
2) End up throwing the timing out of whack for time-dependent (or non-time dependent, if you just want to have the due time cover the whole day) actions (when using 'completed time')

Everyone,

I have a ton of tasks that I need to repeat every day M-F at work, but I don't want them cluttering stuff up with overdue notices on the weekends. Currently I have to create 5 versions of each task, one each for M-F, and tell them to repeat weekly. Is there any way to make a task repeat each weekday, but not on the weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebailey View Post
I have a ton of tasks that I need to repeat every day M-F at work, but I don't want them cluttering stuff up with overdue notices on the weekends. Currently I have to create 5 versions of each task, one each for M-F, and tell them to repeat weekly. Is there any way to make a task repeat each weekday, but not on the weekends?
Only the way you're currently doing it.

Use Help --> Send Feedback to add your vote to the others requesting this feature.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I want to spray that lawn in June, July, August, September, December, and March.
There is one dirty workaround for all you multiple-copies-of-repeating-tasks people out there. Instead of using repeating tasks at all you can just skip that and push start dates forward. E.g.:

1. It's June now and the spray task/project becomes available.
2. After spraying set the start date of the spray task to July (don't check off the task.
3. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappetta View Post
I also vote for the "recur on certain day" feature, but:

My repeating tasks are not at regular intervals: they just start again on given dates.

So what I would really need is to specify the actual *calendar date* when the project should become active again, es September 15th, 2008, and *not* intervals like "the first Tuesday of the month, the last day of the month".
I also would like this feature. I use OF to keep track of when I have to prepare lectures and other materials for teaching. I always want a recurring tasks in the future, but it isn't always on a given day. I end up keeping one task all semester and update the due date each time I complete (say) a lecture. This is a workable kludge, but it means that I don't get any historical information on when I did what. It's also tempting to check the completion box, but then I'd lose the task altogether (to my horror and the delight of students!).

I would like to see OF support a process like this:
  • I check off a task (e.g., lecture prep)
  • OF adds a recurrence of the task and also prompts me for the new due date
  • OF adds new task to task list.

Thanks!

One more vote for the "repeat on a certain day of the week" feature. Many actions don't neccessarily recur on a 23rd of a month but on "mondays" or every 2nd weekend, etc.

Best regards and keep up the excellent work!
Christian

As requested in another thread, I would really like a ROLLOVER feature. So if an action is not completed by its Due Date, it would automatically be rolled over by the increment specified.

So an action could be (for example) "repeat every 2nd Tuesday of the month" and "if missed, roll over to Next Tuesday."

Please send feedback to Omni if this sounds good to you.

Thanks!

I love a lot of the features of OmniFocus, but this lack of robust repeating is driving me toward Things or Life Balance. I can hang on to Omni, but need some reassurance that this feature is coming soon... please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangha View Post
I love a lot of the features of OmniFocus, but this lack of robust repeating is driving me toward Things or Life Balance. I can hang on to Omni, but need some reassurance that this feature is coming soon... please!!
Perhaps if you tell us exactly what "this feature" is.... I've got countless repeating tasks in my database, and have since before OF 1.0 shipped.

I would like some type of feature that is something like:

Task Due Date
Renew car tags Last day in January
Check bank statement 24th of every month
Attend Exec Mtg Every first and third Tues of Each Month

Thanks and great program!

Steve