The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.8 sneaky peeks are now available Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
Unfortunately, it seems that Single-Action Lists are being counted in the "No Context" counter, despite the release notes indicating these won't show up in the Contexts (and of course don't).
Woops! Yes, that's a bug, fixed for the next sneaky peek (now posted).

Last edited by Ken Case; 2010-02-17 at 08:07 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashdollar View Post
that worked (setting the project context to "review", but it does require an extra step for each project created. Just curious why was the decision to include projects in the contexts lists, when projects can't be done, while actions can?
Well, technically projects can be completed. If you've got a project that never actually ends, then either it needs more tasks entered into it (in which case the project entry is a trigger to update it) or it might be more appropriate to make it a Single Action List.

I normally set most of my projects to automatic completion after the last task, but that's not always desirable since there may be more tasks to add. Sometimes that extra step of making a conscious decision that the project is truly completed is handy. In the past I've either knocked off those empty "Done" projects during my weekly review or put a placeholder task in at the end with something like "Complete Project."

Last edited by jdh; 2010-02-17 at 08:06 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
Sorry to be off-topic, but I have never been able to get this to work. Does it only work in Safari? I'm using Firefox.

It successfully calls up Omnifocus, but it's just whatever view I was looking at prior. There's no task created, no quick entry form, nothing.
It sounds like Firefox might be calling up OmniFocus 1.7 rather than one of the new OmniFocus 1.8 sneaky peeks? This is a new feature in OmniFocus 1.8 for Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
It sounds like Firefox might be calling up OmniFocus 1.7 rather than one of the new OmniFocus 1.8 sneaky peeks? This is a new feature in OmniFocus 1.8 for Mac.
Ahh - I misunderstood. Just installed 1.8 and it is working perfectly!! Thanks for setting me straight. Good work!

Yes. This is current possibility. Will you implement any feature that dropped folder or context will be moved to archive and deleted from the list?

Thanks for the update but.... I have to say that I don't quite understand the thought behind the projects in context lists either. I wouldn't want the default context of my project to be Review. Then all new actions would take on the context of Review. I'm assuming that the implementation of this new feature is incomplete? Or maybe I don't quite understand where it's going. Please enlighten me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriggs View Post
Thanks for the update but.... I have to say that I don't quite understand the thought behind the projects in context lists either. I wouldn't want the default context of my project to be Review. Then all new actions would take on the context of Review. I'm assuming that the implementation of this new feature is incomplete? Or maybe I don't quite understand where it's going. Please enlighten me.
The default context is only applied to actions when you don't supply a context yourself, so it isn't really the case that "all new actions would take on the context of Review" as you state. If you want to add a bunch of actions without thinking about the context as you do so and without getting the default context applied (whatever it might be), you can temporarily remove the default context from the project.

As I understand it, the presence of projects and action groups in the context list is in response to a long-standing desire to have them appear when the contained work has been finished. If you view your context lists in Available, that's the behavior you'll see -- when you've ticked off the items in the group or the project, the container itself will appear and you can complete it or add to it as appropriate.

Perhaps reading SpiralOcean's post here will be illustrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashdollar View Post
I apologize for repeating myself, but is there anyway not to have the projects show up as having "no context" I can't assign a context to a project because it may include phone calls, mac work, email, etc. My real concern is in doing my GTD weekly review I go through my action lists (contexts) and catch anything I may not have assigned a context to it. I don't want to review projects until further in my review. I know that not everyone using omnifocus is implementing GTD, but for those of us who are, this makes the review a little more difficult.
Remember, you're only setting the default context -- the context given to new actions in that project if you don't supply one yourself. This shouldn't hinder GTD practice at all; assign a default context when you create a project and you're all set. If you want, you can set it to a value (like Ken's suggested "Review") to enable you during your reviews to easily spot any actions that might not have gotten a carefully considered context.

Projects can be completed, true, but they can't be done. You don't do a project. You do the actions and when you reach a preset objective the project is completed. Assigning a context to a project if not counter intuitive, it is certainly counter to GTD.

Unflagged projects are appearing in the default flagged perspective along with their flagged actions, but underneath the actions. I think it is okay for the projects to appear in the perspective, however it would be helpful to have the projects appear above their associated actions rather than below! Looks like this same behavior occurs in the context perspective.