The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The key combination ⌘Space can't be used Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi folks,

On a new system, I'm trying to change my OF shortcut to Command-Space (as on my other systems). I'm getting an error message

The key combination ⌘Space can't be used
The key combination "Command + Space" can't be used because it's already used by a system-wide keyboard shortcut. (If you really want to use this key combination, most shortcuts can be changed in the Keyboard & Mouse panel in System Preferences.)

I've confirmed that I don't have this key combo in use (I changed my Spotlight to Option-Space). I've restarted OF to no avail.

This is with OF 1.8.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.6.

Anyone else seeing this? Anywhere I'm missing checking for this keystroke?

I was just able to assign it as my clipping shortcut and as my quick entry shortcut. Go to System Preferences, select Keyboard preferences, select Keyboard Shortcuts, select Spotlight on the left, uncheck Show Spotlight search field on the right, quit System Preferences, assign shortcut in OmniFocus. Now launch System Preferences and check the Spotlight shortcut you disabled, and set it to your new choice. It should work at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Anyone else seeing this? Anywhere I'm missing checking for this keystroke?
On my system Cmd-Space is used for switching input languages, I forget whether this is a default for multi-language setups.

It might be worth checking:
System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Keyboard & Text Input > Select the previous input source
(I personally use Option-Space for OF quick entry)

--

Thanks to both of you; alas no luck. I've done both of your suggestions, and I'm still unable to assign command-space to OmniFocus.

If I have Spotlight set to command-space, and try to set it in OF, the Spotlight menu shows up, and nothing happens in OF.

If I uncheck the Spotlight option in preferences, and try to set it in OF, I get the error that I can't set it.

If no one has any other thoughts, I'll submit as a bug to the ninjas.

Any chance some other app also has Cmd-Space bound? What happens if you uncheck the Spotlight option and then just hit the hot key?

Curt