The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Show only actions in a perspective? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
During the day I have a go-to perspective that is basically my checklist to make sure I'm on task, leaving the bigger picture thinking of the projects to the review times. It sorts/groups by due date so I can make sure I'm getting done what absolutely has to be done and then I can pick through available items that don't have due dates as time allows.

My perspective:

The challenge is that under "No due date" I get all the projects themselves that don't have due dates, which is 95% of the projects I have. I have to scroll through looking for actions in between.

Is there a way to have a perspective that only shows actions?

If you are showing Available actions (as it appears you are), the only way a project or action group should show up is if all of its items are completed, or there aren't any. The notion is that the project or action group shows up only when the work is complete, to indicate to you that it is time to either add more actions or mark it complete.

There is an option to hide the parent items: use View->Hide Parent Items in Context View to remove them from view. Unfortunately, there's no way to specify the state of that option in a perspective, so you'll have to turn it on and off by hand if you want it on part of the time. If you think this would be a useful option to add to perspectives, use Help->Send Feedback to send in a feature request to the Omni developers.

One workaround that comes to mind if you have projects that are frequently empty, but you don't want to hide all the parent items: add a dummy action to the project with a start date far in the future.

I'm kinda in the same boat for this same thing. I've got 30 some-odd projects under a folder & a next-action perspective set up (fairly identical). Some of my projects have no upcoming next actions or there is a future start date.

However, when I view my perspective I get all my projects... I really would like to view next actions sorted in Project view. My workaround is to swap to context view and fold up the 'no-context' triangle and it hides all the projects without actions

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
There is an option to hide the parent items: use View->Hide Parent Items in Context View to remove them from view. Unfortunately, there's no way to specify the state of that option in a perspective, so you'll have to turn it on and off by hand if you want it on part of the time. If you think this would be a useful option to add to perspectives, use Help->Send Feedback to send in a feature request to the Omni developers.
Thank you!! While not perfect because it's not in a perspective, it's still HUGE improvement.

The projects aren't exactly empty, it's just that they don't have any available actions in them.

Thanks, again!