The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automatic Sync Script Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello, I am using Lingon to create a script to automatically sync omnifocus with ical. SInce I store my DB on a USB thumb-drive I want the script to run when a file is changed. What would be a good file to watch for changes? I am using "/Volumes/Thumb/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus/root=2B165802-DD5A-487E-A5FE-661B1920A5D2:C6F9BFF1-8DA8-4BD8-8ABF-AA6D9C9E9513.xml" right now. Is there a better file to watch?

Thank You
Eric

I'd recommend watching the enclosing folder itself ("/Volumes/Thumb/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus") rather than any single transaction. (Once a transaction is written, it never changes.)

Thanks for the idea.. I was thinking the same thing. I'm not very familiar with scripting and lingon won't let me choose the folder itself (or I don't know how). I was using a cron for this and it worked great until I moved the database to a thumb-drive. It has a problem when the drive isn't mounted (obviously).

If the thumb-drive is seen as just another directory in your system, for example, under /Volumes, you might set your script to first check if the directory exists and to simply bail is it doesn't.

I'm trying to set-up automatic iCal sync similar to OP, but am having trouble getting it to work. I would also like to have OmniFocus sync with iCal whenever any changes are made to OF. So far, I created the following script.

Quote:
tell application "OmniFocus" to ical_synchronize
end
I then installed Lingon and used the assistant to run a script when a file is modified. I set the label as iCal Sync. I selected the above script and directed lingon to moitor: "/Users/John/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus" However, I can't get it to work. I'm new to this so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Additionally, I'd like to have iCal sync back to OmniFocus whenever iCal is edited. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antidote View Post
I'm trying to set-up automatic iCal sync similar to OP, but am having trouble getting it to work. I would also like to have OmniFocus sync with iCal whenever any changes are made to OF. So far, I created the following script.

I then installed Lingon and used the assistant to run a script when a file is modified. I set the label as iCal Sync. I selected the above script and directed lingon to moitor: "/Users/John/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus" However, I can't get it to work. I'm new to this so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Additionally, I'd like to have iCal sync back to OmniFocus whenever iCal is edited. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'd like to do the same and was wondering if you'd gotten it to work. Thanks.

Up, someone got any answers how to do this? Sync iCal and OmniFocus automatically