The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exporting from OmniOutliner to Scrivener Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This came up in a thread on another topic, but I have found it useful and hard to track down directly through a forum search, so I am bumping it up to become a thread of its own.

Fletcher Penney has written an OO plug-in which makes it possible to export an outline from OmniOutliner to a Scrivener outline.

It is available on his MultiMarkdown site.

Scrivener imports MultiMarkdown formatted outlines, and you can export from OmniOutliner to MultiMarkdown format if you:
  1. copy Fletcher's .ooxsl file to
    ~/Application\ Support/The\ Omni\ Group/OmniOutliner/Plug-Ins/fletcher-markdown.ooxsl
  2. restart 003
  3. choose the MultiMarkdown (text) format from File>Export

Once you have created a Markdown text file version of your outline, you can import it into Scrivener through File>Import>MultiMarkdown file ...

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-01-11 at 01:38 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
This came up in a thread on another topic, but I have found it useful and hard to track down directly through a forum search, so I am bumping it up to become a thread of its own.

Fletcher Penney has written an OO plug-in which makes it possible to export an outline from OmniOutliner to a Scrivener outline.

It is available on his MultiMarkdown site.

Scrivener imports MultiMarkdown formatted outlines, and you can export from OmniOutliner to MultiMarkdown format if you:
  1. copy Fletcher's Markdown.ooxsl to
    ~/Library/Application Support/OmniOutliner 3/Plug-In
  2. restart 003
  3. choose the MultiMarkdown (text) format from File>Export

Once you have created a Markdown text file version of your outline, you can import it into Scrivener through File>Import>MultiMarkdown file ...
Hello RobTrew,
I have tried this. I downloaded the bundled file from fletcherpenny. There was no plug-in folder after ..Application Support/Omniutliner 3 , so I created on and copied the .ooxsl folder, which contains other folders, into this new dicrectory. On restarting Omnioutliner, and choosing file/export, there is no multimarkdown option.
Could you please tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks
RedGrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrass View Post
..Application Support/Omniutliner 3
One possibility is that you are looking at the system level Library folder rather than the one beneath your home folder.

("~" is interpreted by OS X as a reference to your home folder")

In the finder choose Go>Go_to_Folder, and paste in the full string (including ~):

~/Library/Application Support/OmniOutliner 3/Plug-Ins

This should take you to the correct path.

Last edited by RobTrew; 2008-04-25 at 07:23 PM..

Quote:
Should be "Plug-Ins" to work properly...

I also had to set the bundle bit on the plug-in after I expanded it, as it expanded to a folder. This may or may not be necessary for it to work.

Quote:
One possibility is that you are looking at the system level Library folder rather than the one beneath your home folder.

("~" is interpreted by OS X as a reference to your home folder")

In the finder choose Go>Go_to_Folder, and paste in the full string (including ~):

This should take you to the correct path.
No the Markdown.ooxsl folder is in
Users/wolfgangkunze/Library/Application Support/OmniOutliner 3/Plug-In
then it is a folder which has a Contents folder which in turn has
info.plist and pddevelopment.plist files and another folder called Resources.
Inside the Resources folder are 2 flies: oo2markdown.xsl and oo2markdownAttachment.xsl.
I don't know how omnioutliner can parse all this but?!?
Wolfgang

Yes, bonzer!
It works graus if the folder is named Plug-Ins
Thanks a lot mate.
RedGrass

Thanks - I've added the missing "s" to the original post.

Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastorff View Post
I also had to set the bundle bit on the plug-in after I expanded it, as it expanded to a folder. This may or may not be necessary for it to work.
How do I set the “bundle bit” for the folder? With just the folder put into the Plug-Ins subfolder, OO3 doesn’t show MultiMarkdown in the export options for me.

Cheers,
-Sascha

Edith says: Seems as if the plug-in only works with OO 3 Professional. Bummer. :( Time for an upgrade, perhaps?

Last edited by nggalai; 2008-05-25 at 06:59 AM..

When I downloaded it and unzipped it the resultant folder's name was actually:

"fletcher-Markdown.ooxsl-820ace92d65af96573e97250331c5c4d36aece39"

which I just moved as is to the folder indicated. I couldn't get it to work until I renamed the folder to just "fletcher-Markdown.ooxsl" - at which point it began to appear as a single file in the finder. After a restart of Omni Outliner, I began to see the markdown options appear in the export menu as a save option.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstarks View Post
...I renamed the folder to just "fletcher-Markdown.ooxsl" - at which point it began to appear as a single file in the finder. After a restart of Omni Outliner, I began to see the markdown options appear in the export menu as a save option.
I'd really like to try the Markdown export, but when I try this, it doesn't work:

1. It does not appear as a single file (package) in Finder
2. In OmniOutliner 3.9.1, I do not have an Export menu. Just to be clear, in the Main Menu
I have File > Export.
3. When I click this item it presents a dialog and in that dialog is a popup menu labelled "File Format".
4. When I click that popup menu, I get 11 items, the same as I had before relaunch
OmniOutliner. None of them indicate "fletcher" or "Markdown"

Regarding 1., I believe it does not appear as a package because it does not have a "Contents/PkgInfo" file. This is typically an 8-byte file which tells Finder "This is a package". Maybe that's the problem?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Jerry Krinock

Here's a Terminal session which shows my installation...

Jerrys-Mac-Mini:~ jk$ cd "/Users/jk/Library/Application Support/OmniOutliner 3/Plug-Ins/fletcher-Markdown.ooxsl"
Jerrys-Mac-Mini:fletcher-Markdown.ooxsl jk$ ls -al
total 24
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 jk 501 170 Sep 4 10:51 .
drwxrwxr-x 4 jk 501 136 Sep 4 11:19 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 jk 501 6148 Sep 4 10:51 .DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 jk 501 170 Sep 4 10:51 Contents
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 jk 501 444 Jul 10 14:49 README.md
Jerrys-Mac-Mini:fletcher-Markdown.ooxsl jk$ cd Contents
Jerrys-Mac-Mini:Contents jk$ ls -al
total 16
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 jk 501 170 Sep 4 10:51 .
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 jk 501 170 Sep 4 10:51 ..