The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Importing text with tabs in it: Way to ignore tabs and not create columns? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I have some text in TextEdit which is basically outlines, for the form:

Enhancements
- Flotsam valve
- Jetsam detector
- Phlogiston vent

When I paste it into OO, I get two columns, one with "Enhancements" and a bunch of dashes below it, and then a second column which has the details. This is not what I want; this is effectively an outline I'm importing and I'd like it to all be a single column.

Is there a way to paste it and NOT have OO create a column, or barring that is there a way to tell OO to concatenate columns (without resorting to AppleScript or the like)? I can't seem to figure this out.

I can't think of any way to have OmniOutliner handle that automatically. The easiest workaround would probably be to do a global search and replace in your original TextEdit document (maybe copy/paste the pertinent portion to a temporary new document, to avoid messing up your original) to remove the leading dash+tab (or replace it with dash+space; OmniOutliner sees the tab as a column marker, but it will interpret leading dash+spaces as simply a starting bullet, and will remove them).