The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best Method for "Due Today" List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have searched the forum (though only for about an hour) for the best way of creating a view of items "due today" my understanding is that creating a window that just shows that option is not posable at this time but that there are a number of workarounds. I am just starting to use OF on both the Mac and iPhone and was wondering if others might be willing to share their workarounds for creating a "Today view. I often, based on a previous days events come up with a number of phone calls and emails that need to be sent the next day and would like to focus on just that information from time to time.

Thanks,

Richard

Perspectives menu > Due Items

Then collapse all the groups besides "Due Today" if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Perspectives menu > Due Items

Then collapse all the groups besides "Due Today" if you want.
And then you can save this view, with all other groups collapsed, as a new perspective. Call it "Due Today," or whatever else looks good. And you can add it to the toolbar if you want to use it a lot.

The need for a today screen arise when you have many active tasks for the currently available contexts (such is the case for me at work).

Assuming you are trying to stay close to GTD:

The above approach only works for real so called "hard" due dates.
If you want a today view with stuff that "you would like" to get done today but that doesn't necessary "have to be" done you have to pick a different approach.

One way would be flags. Anything that should be on the radar for you today or in the near future could be flagged.

Antoher way is to organize the review dates so that the tasks you might want to work on today shows up under today in a daily review. You basically live in the review mode and knock off tasks.

Perspectives could of course be set up for quick access to all of this.

Another approach is to be very aggressive with what projects are set to on-hold. Instead of doing weekly reviews you will have to do daily reviews to make sure that the stuff you want to work on today is active. Almost everything else is on-hold.

Last edited by colicoid; 2008-08-26 at 11:39 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by colicoid View Post
One way would be flags. Anything that should be on the radar for you today or in the near future could be flagged.

Antoher way is to organize the review dates so that the tasks you might want to work on today shows up under today in a daily review. You basically live in the review mode and knock off tasks.
Flags is more or less how I do this.

I don't think the Review idea would work, since review dates are set per-project, not per-action.

I forgot to mention:
the reasons you don't want to use due dates for things that you want to get done at a certain date but does not have to be (soft due date) are two.

1. You will at some point fail to do all the tasks you wanted in the time you wanted and you will be excessively postponing due dates. It's also stressful because tasks feel less optional.

2. You can no longer see the difference between hard due dates (usually external factors e.g. pay bill on time or you will be fined) and soft due dates (stuff you want to get done before the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I don't think the Review idea would work, since review dates are set per-project, not per-action.
The only workaround for that as of now is to juggle the start dates.
You put later start dates on all tasks you don't want to work on. The ones you want to work on have a start date of today or earlier.