The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What PIM do you use with Omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am looking for a PIM to help me keep track of the calls, meetings and emails I make and receive for my projects. Now, personally, I would love to do all of that within Omnifocus, but it does not seem to be the right tool for that. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejohn View Post
I am looking for a PIM to help me keep track of the calls, meetings and emails I make and receive for my projects. Now, personally, I would love to do all of that within Omnifocus, but it does not seem to be the right tool for that. Any suggestions? Thank you.
I use Yojimbo by Bare Bones Software as a GTD 'reference system'. I keep my email in Apple Mail, and I use the MailTags plugin so I can tag email messages with keywords and projects.

JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
I use Yojimbo by Bare Bones Software as a GTD 'reference system'. I keep my email in Apple Mail, and I use the MailTags plugin so I can tag email messages with keywords and projects.

JP
I also use Yojimbo. I like to "copy item link" from yojimbo and paste it into the notes of an OF project.

I haven't used mailtags in awhile. Do you find it worth the extra work when "find" is so good in the mail.app?

Steve

Since I have and use a Palm, I sync it with my Mac's iCal, which is kept up-to-date wrt tasks using OF. I don't sync emails to the Palm since I deal with them using my laptop, which is kept close to me most of the time - yes, I need a life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I haven't used mailtags in awhile. Do you find it worth the extra work when "find" is so good in the mail.app?
Steve
Yes, I do. With MailTags I can immediately and reliably find all messages related to a particular project in one simple search, and hide everything else from view. For me the minimal extra work that tagging costs is definitely worth it.

JP

I'll have to give it a second look... Thanks!
Steve

The last PIM that I looked at was SOHO Organizer (CHRONOS). If you need something that works with Exchange (without fighting with your IT group over IMAP), then Entourage is the only show in town. Google also found, the ChandlerProject . . . although it seems like you would use this instead of using OF.

If you ignore calendaring, other apps to consider are (linking Macworld reviews that are now a bit dated):

The previously mentioned Yojimbo

NoteBook

DEVONthink Pro

I use DEVONthink Pro Office, which allows me to import email in bulk from Mail. This is a feature that sets DTPO apart from the competition, but it does not understand discussion threads.

The nature of DTPO's document indexing means that you do not have to deal with tagging, but you still have to setup and populate folders to hold your documents. Once you seed your folders with representative documents, DTPO will auto-file your documents as you import them. However, auto-filing works better if you are willing to build a detailed set of folders for storing your data (you can do this as you go) and if you are willing to chop up multi-topic documents into pieces. This is a product that does well with large amounts of data.