The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Superscript and subscript Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Something has always struck me as odd about superscripts and subscripts in Omni. You can make a subscript or superscript in Fonts -> Baseline, but that just moves the text up or down without changing the size. However, in every case where I use subscripts/superscripts (math, chemical formulae, footnotes, etc.) the text in the subscript/superscript is always smaller. Of course you can then manually make the text smaller, but it is a multistep process that is awkward if you do it a lot. Why doesn't OmniOutline shrink the text by default?

Alternatively, if I have missed a way to do this, I would certainly appreciate enlightenment!

Happy to help! If you open up Apple's TextEdit application, you'll notice that the Format menu there pretty much exactly matches OmniOutliner's. That's because both TextEdit and OmniOutliner are built on top of Apple's cocoa frameworks - there are a certain number of features OmniOutliner gets "for free".

The default cocoa-framework version of the subscript and superscript commands live under a "Baseline" submenu, and those commands do just that - they modify the baseline of the text but not the other properties.

I'm not sure if we have a feature request open on versions of those commands that formatted other parts of the text style, but if it would be helpful for your work to have them, send email to our support ninjas; if there's an existing feature request, they can attach your email so the rest of the team will know you'd like to see that added.

(The number of customers requesting a given change is one of the metrics we use to plan the work on our products.)

Pages has a super/sub/script command which moves the baseline and changes the font size. Is that available for adoption into other Cocoa apps? Is there an Automator .service or AppleScript out there to do this already? I have services to change letter case; seems a small leap.

after more thinking...it may not be such a small leap since many fonts have special glyphs for superscript and subscript characters and what we're expecting is a cheap alternative and probably not what Pages does.

Last edited by pjb; 2010-10-30 at 05:54 PM..

Pages uses a different, entirely proprietary and unreleased text engine. So Pages does these things, but makes a dog's dinner of RTF, failing to handle headers, footers, images, footnotes ... Nisus have done these things, including proper super- and subscripts, but they have hacked the basic Apple text-engine, used by TextEdit and many others, very considerably.