The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Would like nested tasks to display indented on iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm quite a big user of nested tasks and I love OmniFocus (1) on iPad's implementation of it (basically the same as OmniFocus 1(/2)).

There's quite a huge disparity in terms of support for nested tasks between OmniFocus 1 on iPad and the new OmniFocus 2 on iPhone (I hate to be critical, but at this point in time the only apparent change is the UI/X change. Obviously OmniGroup is well known for supporting its software for many years but still. And yes OmniFocus 2 for iPhone was probably a rush job due to the sudden release of iOS 7 (and the radical change in design language) – to the extent that they had to drop all efforts on the OF2 for Mac front, but still, I'd prefer if this issue (poor support for nested tasks) be remedied.).

As seen in the screenshots below, you have to navigate between 'multiple layers' on the iPhone which is intensely annoying and not that helpful (in terms of seeing the overall context of the actions/tasks).

Layer 1, 2 and 3 of tasks (OmniFocus 1 on iPad)

Layer 2 of tasks (OmniFocus 2 on iPhone)

Layer 3 of tasks (OmniFocus 2 on iPhone)

I agree. I much prefer the iPad approach and would like to see this on the iPhone.

Trying to squeeze the power of OmniFocus into the smaller iPhone/iPod touch screen appears to definitely be a challenge for Omnigroup and many other app developers. I think the iPhone version of OmniFocus has its place in the universe but complex editing (such as nested tasks) are probably beyond the limits of the small 4" screen. It's probably best suited for capturing simple tasks while on-the-go, looking up tasks, and checking off tasks. Workflows such as Review, and complex project creation would overwhelm the iPhone's small screen size.

I've noticed that I tend to capture thoughts and ideas on my iPod touch. But I'll turn to my Mac or iPad to flesh out the complex projects further. I would just be too frustrated trying to do anything more on the iPod touch.

As we can see, OmniPlan, OmniGraffle, and OmniOutliner have been designed only for the iPad and not the iPhone. Heck, even Apple's Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps are quite limited when working on the 4" screen.

I have been seriously contemplating just getting an iPad mini Retina just so that I can use OmniFocus for iPad instead. I have my "man-bag" or "murse" so it doesn't bother me too much. It's not a phablet but it's definitely not phone-sized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I have been seriously contemplating just getting an iPad mini Retina just so that I can use OmniFocus for iPad instead. I have my "man-bag" or "murse" so it doesn't bother me too much. It's not a phablet but it's definitely not phone-sized.
Look for refurbished full-sized at the next-lower generation. I got one last Christmas directly from Apple with Retina and more memory instead of the newer generation with Retina, less memory, and faster WiFi+cellular. I could not be happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
Trying to squeeze the power of OmniFocus into the smaller iPhone/iPod touch screen appears to definitely be a challenge for Omnigroup and many other app developers. I think the iPhone version of OmniFocus has its place in the universe but complex editing (such as nested tasks) are probably beyond the limits of the small 4" screen. It's probably best suited for capturing simple tasks while on-the-go, looking up tasks, and checking off tasks. Workflows such as Review, and complex project creation would overwhelm the iPhone's small screen size.

I've noticed that I tend to capture thoughts and ideas on my iPod touch. But I'll turn to my Mac or iPad to flesh out the complex projects further. I would just be too frustrated trying to do anything more on the iPod touch.

As we can see, OmniPlan, OmniGraffle, and OmniOutliner have been designed only for the iPad and not the iPhone. Heck, even Apple's Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps are quite limited when working on the 4" screen.

It's not even complex editing – it's the display of the stuff. I find it absolutely ridiculous that I have to tap through several levels just in order to see the stuff.

It means that I can't visualise my tasks.

It is completely feasible. I've done a quick mockup in Pixelmator (sadly I don't have OmniGraffle 6 and I can't really justify the purchase at the moment).

@fidic: true, true.That's why I'm just resorting to using OF on my iPad instead. Thinking of that iPad mini is a more portable solution.

I'd love to see a future version of OmniFocus 2 for iPhone with better display options.

As always, if enough folks send feedback through through the app or e-mail, this feature request will hopefully register enough votes to get Omni to change it much sooner.

Just saw that the title of my thread has been changed to a more... neutral tone ('Would like nested tasks to display indented on iPhone'). I do apologise for that. I just really want to see this feature incorporated into OmniFocus 2 (it's still the best productivity app for iPhone, despite this omission of nested task) – in the process of advocating for the support of such a feature, I might have phrased the title of the thread in a slightly... strong way.

Either way, returning to the topic: I think indented/nested tasks are definitely feasible and possible.

Would be great to see this added to the app, along with the edge-swipe feature.

Disclaimer: I'm not a UX expert (I just appreciate good design and typography) – I just want to get things done.