The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

more than a feature: better outlining Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Having switched to OF from OOutliner, I'm finding it difficult to get used to the fact that OF is so ambivalent about outlining. For example, since projects receive special treatment, it's not really convenient to nest actions within actions within actions (etc.) in a way that I did routinely in OO.

I tried to compensate for that by nesting folders within folders, but in planning view all folders show up as equals, and the hierarchy is lost, which defeats the whole purpose of having a hierarchy.

Moreover, creating a new project when you're in a given folder does not create it where you are, but at top level, which is both frustrating and disorienting. If I wanted to create it at top level, I could go there.

A further way in which hierarchy is not respected is that there's no way for dates or other attributes to be transmitted up the hierarchy (like in OO) -- or down, for that matter.

I would be happier if folders would nest inside each other correctly in all views, and frankly if even in context view the hierarchy for a given action was not lost. (Or alternately, if I could filter in OO by any column, I could go back to that, and have all the outlining power I am accustomed to, plus filtering.)

Finally, I'm not sure if this is related to the rest of this post, but I don't see why it's not possible to sort actions by start date, say, or whatever criterion, when in planning mode. (I was told by a help ninja that this was on purpose.) I can see that it makes sense when projects are sequential, but in the other two cases it would make planning a lot easier if one could sort. (Say by clicking on the column header!) Also there's no way to sort by more than one criterion, as is possible in OO.

Am I the only one with these concerns?

You are not alone. Several users have mentioned that they would get a lot of mileage out of having outlining features embedded within OF. See the wish list thread. I am with you. I use OO to keep a lot of miscellaneous data on my various projects, and use OF to manage all of the various tasks that go along with the same set of projects. I am constantly switching back and forth between the two during the work day. I'd love to be able to drop each project outline into OF, even if it was just within the note of a task. Or, have OF like task management possible in OO. Either would work. Some users are of the opinion that OF is for task management only and being able to get more of a "total" project management feel from it would bloat it, but I for one sure would like to see that happen eventually. Sorting by column heading click would be nice too. I occasionally consider throwing everything into one big wiki like monkeyGTD, but haven't yet.