The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

So S-L-O-W Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For what it's worth, setting the history preference to discard history when quitting OmniWeb gives a tremendous improvement in speed, both in loading the application and loading web pages.

I've always set my history to auto-clear at the end of a session, and OW seems plenty fast, to me. sarasdad is probably right about this.

I have to agree about the network slowness thing, though. What is going on here? When my home downstream is saturated, OW takes *considerably* longer to retrieve a page than Safari or FF3 in the same conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasdad View Post
For what it's worth, setting the history preference to discard history when quitting OmniWeb gives a tremendous improvement in speed, both in loading the application and loading web pages.
I never quit my regular apps. they're left open for weeks. if there's a memory/thread management problem, it needs to be fixed.

cheers,
Gregory

This is a huge issue and I'd REALLY like to see someone from OmniGroup comment on it.

There is simply no doubt that Safari 3.x is MUCH faster now than OmniWeb. It’s not even close. The problem is, I LOVE the functionality of OW, I just don’t like the performance and memory management.

Is this something that should improve as OW migrates to more stable and mature versions of WebKit? Or do I need to regretfully say goodbye to functionality like site specific preferences and workspaces in favor of faster performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
This is a huge issue and I'd REALLY like to see someone from OmniGroup comment on it.

There is simply no doubt that Safari 3.x is MUCH faster now than OmniWeb. It’s not even close. The problem is, I LOVE the functionality of OW, I just don’t like the performance and memory management.

Is this something that should improve as OW migrates to more stable and mature versions of WebKit? Or do I need to regretfully say goodbye to functionality like site specific preferences and workspaces in favor of faster performance?
If you are able to live without some of the functionality and are interested in speed...Try the Demeter browser...It is the fastest of them all...
Peace,
Stuart

OW doesnt seem any slower to me than any other browser, and anyway, I can wait another hundereth of a second for a page if it means I get more features and a nicer experience.

Just got done doing some very informal benchmark testing using the stopwatch feature on my iPhone to time page loads in OW vs Safari.

What I found was when running 5.7x with history NOT set to clear upon quitting, OW was consistently slower loading every link and every page vs Safari. Safari felt MUCH quicker because it WAS much quicker.

I then upgraded to the 8/15 5.8x sneaky peak build, cleared history and set history to clear upon quitting and then retested and OW is now running as fast or faster than Safari 3.x on my machine. Definitely yielded a performance improvement.

Told a friend who is a longtime user of OW who recently switched to Safari because of the performance issue, he upgraded to a sneaky peak build and changed his history settings and he got the same result, much better performance.

I hesitated using the sneaky peak builds because they would intermittently break my 1Password functionality but it appears if I just wait a few days before downloading the most current one that I'll be OK.

And what I found after installing SAFT and SafariStand on Safari was that even with those add ons, it was still a very poor imitation of OW, which I believe to be the best browsing experience on the Mac platform.

I’m very happy about this performance improvement.

I can't justify deleting history, as I find it very useful. However, I have changed the setting to 5 days, and it improves performance and seems a decent compromise.

I have done this on other browsers as well, and it helps them too it seems.