The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Setting Action status for On Hold Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm new to Omni Focus, and just trying to set it up for myself.

I have a single-action item "Sewing Quilt" that will become a project eventually. I want to mark its Status as On Hold. I don't want to set up an On Hold context, because I already have a Sewing/Making context that I want this action to go in.

Is there a way to set the status for a single action as On Hold?

If you have an action you don't want to complete or delete, but don't want showing up on your available actions lists for a while, there are a few options, including:
  1. assign it to a context which is on hold
  2. set a start date on the action far in the future
  3. put it in a project or single-action list which is on hold
It sounds like you don't want #1, so #2 or #3 would be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairskee View Post

I have a single-action item "Sewing Quilt" that will become a project eventually. I want to mark its Status as On Hold. I don't want to set up an On Hold context, because I already have a Sewing/Making context that I want this action to go in.

I have a separate folder of on-hold projects (in the projects view) called Someday/Maybe. Generally, I don't have actions items for these projects, but there are exceptions. Each one of these items is listed as a project that is marked on-hold (pause button icon in inspector). That way any actions that are in there don't show up in the contexts lists that are included for regular in-progress next actions.

Generally, this list is much less "well defined" in terms of project outcomes so something like "Sewing Quilt" is ok as a project name. If it were to become active, I would define it more like "Sew Quilt to give to Joe for birthday." or whatever...

Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairskee View Post

No. You can't. I had the same issue and sent a message to suport ninjas. They said maybe it will be possible in next releases. I don't want to set it to special on hold context and to special on hold project( I need it to be with it's original project and context) I just need to put my single action item on hold and see it there. Playing with start and due dates (when my single action item "Boom" appearing some day) doesn't help a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savan7 View Post
Playing with start and due dates (when my single action item "Boom" appearing some day) doesn't help a bit.
I understand the desire for on-hold actions, since that represents a different meaning than having a start date in the far future. But setting a start date in the far future is the current work around.

Can you help us understand how that "doesn't help a bit"? Presumably an on-hold action would appear in a project while viewing remaining actions, just like an action with a future start date. And presumably an on-hold action would not appear in a project while viewing available actions, just like an action without a start date. I think the only difference in behavior is that item with a future start date will automatically switch from "on-hold" to available. And if the start date is for the year 2100, that's an issue for our descendants to deal with. Am I missing something?

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I understand the desire for on-hold actions, since that represents a different meaning than having a start date in the far future. But setting a start date in the far future is the current work around.

Can you help us understand how that "doesn't help a bit"? Presumably an on-hold action would appear in a project while viewing remaining actions, just like an action with a future start date. And presumably an on-hold action would not appear in a project while viewing available actions, just like an action without a start date. I think the only difference in behavior is that item with a future start date will automatically switch from "on-hold" to available. And if the start date is for the year 2100, that's an issue for our descendants to deal with. Am I missing something?

I see your point, but...

What I want to see is:
My single action item on hold in my current project and with my current context (that's it, it's just depends on my case)

And what I don't want to see is:
Quote:
Presumably an on-hold action would appear in a project while viewing remaining actions, just like an action with a future start date. And presumably an on-hold action would not appear in a project while viewing available actions, just like an action without a start date.

When I sent my message to ninjas that was my feature request. That's it

Quote:
Can you help us understand how that "doesn't help a bit"?
it will help a bit.

Last edited by savan7; 2009-04-29 at 08:52 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by savan7 View Post
What I want to see is:
My single action item on hold in my current project and with my current context (that's it, it's just depends on my case)
Uh, what does that look like? What does it do in a sequential project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Uh, what does that look like? What does it do in a sequential project?
and what if it's not sequential?

Quote:
what does that look like?
remember iGTD of bartek:bargiel? play/pause button on a single action item? That was good.

Thanks all for the responses, it's helpful.

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus - how do I send a note to the support ninjas about this?

If you select "Send Feedback" under OmniFocus' help menu, that'll open up a message to the support ninjas. Alternatively, you can click this link to do the same thing. Thanks!