The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PLEASE? How bout a down & dirty basic Reminder function? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've attempted using Growl with OF for same, but think its implementation is pedestrian AT BEST and doesn't address the simple role of setting a flexible, configurable reminder to anything. I'm talking bout a simple "remind me in 5 minutes, hours, days, weeks, months" kind of feature that's been so common in WAY simpler applications for maybe 20 years. Any possibilities, or is there some complex coding issue that precludes its adoption. Growl doesn't float MY boat. LOVE Focus except for that! It's kind of a crucial feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk52 View Post
I'm talking bout a simple "remind me in 5 minutes, hours, days, weeks, months" kind of feature that's been so common in WAY simpler applications for maybe 20 years.
OK, so why not use one of those simpler applications for your reminders? There are even some free ones available as Dashboard widgets.

That's not to say I would complain if such a feature were added to OmniFocus. But it hardly seems essential to me.

-Dennis

I'm a big fan of the free-as-in-beer Pester for reminders. I use it for anything that I want more in-my-face than Growl + OF, but less "official" than iCal.

Curt

I'm pretty sure we've got a feature request open on this in our development database. Interested parties should email the support ninjas to vote for the existing request.

What are the ones, as you note, available as D-board widgets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexattend View Post
What are the ones, as you note, available as D-board widgets?
I use these:
  1. http://www.baldgeeks.com/3-2-1.htm
  2. http://microcore.dk/TheDailyGrind/index.php

But there are many others. Here are just a few:
  1. http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...ardwidget.html
  2. http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...ticktimer.html
  3. http://nitram-nunca.com/downloads/minutes/

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-05-24 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Added a few more options

This is a really big time needed feature. Then, it needs to be included as a push notification into the iPhone app as well. Don't need it? Then don't use it but it is really needed for tasks that need to get done by a certain date.

I've created a script that pushes the action into Toodledo where I have it set to send SMS messages to remind of the due time. That helps, but it is still a backdoor solution for sure.

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Don't need it? Then don't use it but it is really needed for tasks that need to get done by a certain date.
Unfortunately, things are rarily that simple. Every added feature consumes finite engineering resources -- resources that might be better spent elsewhere.

So, by all means, send in your feature requests so Omni can evaluate them and plan accordingly. But don't expect other users to just accept your pet feature or ignore it if they don't see a pressing need for it.

-Dennis

I'm content with dismissing most Growl notifications from OmniFocus, just like I dismiss most iCal reminders. But there are times when I don't want to respond immediately to a reminder (e.g., "Take the recycling bins to the curb"). Remind me again in a while.

I imagine a simple extention to current Growl integration. Currently, when I click a Growl message from OmniFocus, an OmniFocus window opens with the related task. Instead, OmniFocus could pop up a tiny window (à la Quick Entry) with these choices:
  • Remind me again in [fill in the blank] minutes/hours/days
  • Mark as Done
  • Show task in OmniFocus
  • OK (or Close)
I considered a "Remind me at [fill in date/time]" choice, but that could be handled as a Show task in OmniFocus + a simple change of Start or Due field.

-- Ward

[submitted as formal feedback]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Unfortunately, things are rarily that simple. Every added feature consumes finite engineering resources -- resources that might be better spent elsewhere.

So, by all means, send in your feature requests so Omni can evaluate them and plan accordingly. But don't expect other users to just accept your pet feature or ignore it if they don't see a pressing need for it.

-Dennis
Two comments:

1. I'm aware of the effort that goes into something like this. I'm an engineer, I'm well versed in these technologies, and I've spent 20 years managing engineering programs - but you couldn't have known that. One thing to note, is that when engineering wants to blow off the rest of the company, they use this excuse (I'm guilty of having used this tactic many times). This is not that hard to implement or resource intensive.

2. This has been asked for many times on these forums. I don't think that qualifies as my "pet" feature despite my pithy statement about it.

J.