The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle for iPad is $49.95? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.Stevens View Post
I think the app was worth 20 bucks. But it would be hard to convince me to spend more than that.
Yep, 20 bucks tops, and even that's a bit steep considering that all the other major players are selling their wares for 9.99 and under. Especially in this bad economy... Really disappointed in Omni for over pricing this :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
Yep, 20 bucks tops, and even that's a bit steep considering that all the other major players are selling their wares for 9.99 and under. Especially in this bad economy... Really disappointed in Omni for over pricing this :(
But it simply isn't true that everyone is selling for $9.99 and under. Looking at the top 100 grossing iPad apps at the moment, OmniGraffle is #12, with 4 apps above it over the $10 price point, and eyeballing it, about 20% of the top 100 over $10.

The big 3 Apple apps are $9.99 each, but don't forget that Apple a) gets to keep 100% of the price (developers normally get 70%), and b) gets to keep the hefty profits on selling you an iPad so you can run them. A third-party developer would have to charge more to get the same revenue per sale.

If you really think the pricing is wrong, you should not only exercise your right not to purchase the app, but also send email to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com explaining what you have (not) done and why you think their price is wrong. Then, go find (or write) a different app which meets your needs at a price you are willing to pay.

I confess I've never really understood the mindset where person A produces something and person B feels that they should be able to tell person A what to charge, particularly for sales to person B. If, in your opinion, $10 is a fair price for a program like OmniGraffle for iPad, why aren't you selling a comparable, competing program for that price? It's also a bit over the top to be invoking the economy when speaking of software for a $500+ luxury item.

*ahem* omnigraffle-ipad@omnigroup.com. But yeah, please do send us your feedback. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I confess I've never really understood the mindset where person A produces something and person B feels that they should be able to tell person A what to charg
I think you're taking this a little too personally. Nobody is telling anyone what to do. We're expressing surprise, disappointment, etc. That's all.

Quote:
But it simply isn't true that everyone is selling for $9.99 and under. Looking at the top 100 grossing iPad apps at the moment, OmniGraffle is #12
Yes, I noticed that, too. Omni seems to be doing quite well now. If those sales continue after the initial hype calms down a little, well then I guess I was wrong then, wasn't I? :)

And I get dismayed at folk who think they can tell folk what not to tell other folk!

Anyway, Long time user of outlined and graffle. I am surprised at the $50 buck pricing. At 15.00 for a companion to my desktop license I wouldn't blink. Since this would be self financed and not subsidized by my office yet 50 bucks is real steep and I will watch this parade from the sidewalk.

Have promoted Omni since I met you at the MacWorld in Boston! Hope this works out. I also hope to one day have graffle on my iPad but not at this price.

Robert

Typed on my iPad.

OmniGraffle for iPad isn't designed as a companion to the Mac app: it's designed as a complete standalone app, with support for multiple canvases, shared layers (only available in the Pro app on Mac), tables (also Pro-only on Mac), smart guides, automatic layout, text formatting, variable substitutions, and so on.

In fact, in some respects OmniGraffle for iPad is a dramatic improvement over the Mac app: the touch interface makes it much easier to create freehand sketches, and if you've ever tried to use OmniGraffle heavily on a MacBook I think you'll agree that the iPad app provides a much better mobile experience. (Given the choice between bringing OmniGraffle for iPad or MacBook to a meeting, I'd choose OmniGraffle for iPad.)

At half the price of the Mac app, OmniGraffle for iPad is already significantly less expensive than its Mac editions—so much less expensive that I worry about the degree to which it might cannibalize our Mac sales.

As we said on our blog:

$50 may be too much to spend on entertainment (although many console games cost more), but we don't intend OmniGraffle as a casual purchase: OmniGraffle for iPad is designed as a professional productivity tool, one which will make you more productive and will save you time and money every week.

We feel confident you will be happy with the depth of the feature set, pleasantly surprised by some brand-new options only available on the iPad, and overall find OmniGraffle for iPad to be a good value. As always, we welcome your feedback, so feel free to talk to us about any concerns you have!

Last edited by Ken Case; 2010-04-04 at 08:32 AM..

I'll accept everything you've said as given but...

you are asking me to spend $50 on a product completely on faith. There's no demo, no lite version. The App store offers no money back guarantee. At $20 I'd cross my fingers and take the risk. Even knowing the quality of Omni products - owning two of them and upgrading them immediately since version 1 - I can't jump this shark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwb View Post
you are asking me to spend $50 on a product completely on faith. There's no demo, no lite version. The App store offers no money back guarantee. At $20 I'd cross my fingers and take the risk. Even knowing the quality of Omni products - owning two of them and upgrading them immediately since version 1 - I can't jump this shark.
I think that's perfectly reasonable: you shouldn't spend that sort of money on faith, and we're not asking you to do so.

Building an app worth $50 was simply our first challenge. (And while I think our design, engineering, and QA teams have done a great job so far, we've only reached our first 1.0 milestone: we're not done yet!)

But having built that app, it's now our responsibility to demonstrate to your satisfaction that it's worth $50 of your money. We've started this process by posting screenshots and intro videos, but we have a lot more work to do on that front: we'll be publishing more videos and other information on our own web site, of course, but it would also help to have trusted third-party reviews, demo copies in retail stores, demo copies available for in-person demonstrations at user groups, and so on.

So, no, please don't cross your fingers and spend your $50 completely on faith. Tell us what you need to be able to make an informed decision, and we'll do our best to help you reach one. (And if your informed decision is not to purchase the app, we'll understand!)

Last edited by Ken Case; 2010-04-04 at 10:35 AM..

Quote:
So, no, please don't cross your fingers and spend your $50 completely on faith. Tell us what you need to be able to make an informed decision, and we'll do our best to help you reach one.
I happen to believe it is worth $50 if you need it (designers, network admins, even filmmakers;-) ). But, it is a good point that not everyone will get "pro" mileage out of the app. One HUGE feature that I think will make the price easier to swallow is one of those "hidden" functions of the desktop OG: Outlining. I didn't see it in the videos you've posted, but my desktop OG workflow is basically: Outline, apply template, then diddle around with my thoughts.

If Omni could shine some light on whether textual outlining is built into the iPad app, or how well it translates when you open the iPad created graffles on your Mac, then I think it really could help explain what the app is for.

On the desktop, OG is so multifunctional one doesn't even know where to begin with explaining what it does. I used it the other day just to do a little Photoshoppery without actually opening that hog of an app. OG isn't (necessarily) mindmapping software, but it's great at that, and it's not outlining software, but it's amazing at that....just like it's not a photoshop replacement, but it's great as that too! When the iPad version makes as much sense as the desktop version functionally (to you, user) then $50 will make sense.

Also, stand strong against the "race to the bottom" omni! This doesn't seem like a widget and it SHOULDN'T be $2.99.

Quote:
demo copies in retail stores, demo copies available for in-person demonstrations at user groups, and so on.
Why not a demo or limited app in the app store? I know there are other companies that provide limited functionality in a free app as a demo.