The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

i guess I don’t understand Layers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So I've made this drawing of some new office space, sketching out prospective layouts for the reception area. I’ve got the base layout on Canvas 1, Layer 1. One of our questions is if we’ll have room for a coffee table in a certain part of the layout. I don’t want the table on the base layout so I figured I would add a 2nd layer and just have the table on that layer. I created the 2nd layer and it shows the base layout. I add a shape and configure it in the shape of the table and place it.

But now that shape shows up on both layers. I figured it would only show up on the 2nd layer, and when I selected Layer 1 I would see the base layout without the table.I have Layer 2 listed below Layer 1, but it doesn’t seem to matter where it position it, I get the same visual result.

Am I doing something wrong or am I misunderstanding what a layer is supposed to do?

If you had Layer 2 active when you placed the object, it should only be on Layer 2, but to hide the object when viewing other layers, you will need to "hide" Layer 2 - do so by clicking the eyeball icon next to the layer (either in the drawer or in the ruler, when you have Layer 2 selected). A hidden layer is indicated by an eye with a line through it:

FWIW, this is how it works in Photoshop and other image editing apps that use layers.

If it is appearing even when you hide layer 2, you must have inadvertently pasted it on Layer 1 as well.

Last edited by JKT; 2007-01-07 at 02:16 AM..

OK, I get it. What’s shown on a layer will show on all layers. The order in which the layers are sequenced will simply impact what goes on top of what on the canvas, but everything will show unless the eye icon is clicked to specifically hide that layer’s contents.

Cool.

Thank you very much for that excellent explanation.