The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Project & Context Shortcut Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,
I cannot get the command-return shortcut to work to add a New Project or New Context when entering a task.

As I tab across the task into the Project or Context field, I type a new title and the option appears in grey (see above) to add the new Project or Context to the list as command-return but when I press this combination nothing happens.
Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this to work?
I am worried there is another program running in the background, which may be blocking the shortcut.
I have shutdown all programs and processes I can see that could possibly be blocking it but still no joy.
Does anyone have any ideas or an applescript that can over-ride other shortcuts using this combination?
I have noticed that when I'm just viewing my desktop and hit command-return it hides all the icons on the desktop.
I wonder if this is related, but can't figure out what's causing it.
Apologies if this has been covered before.
I searched but could not find anything about it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You want to type the name of the thing you're trying to add, then press command-return; it sounds like you're hitting the shortcut while the cell is still empty. Sorry for the confusion!

Hi Brian,
I'm afraid this doesn't fix it.
In the example above I did type "new context" for the sake of the demo.
When I type command-return it doesn't do anything.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Paul.

Hmmmm... command-return on my desktop doesn't behave on my machine the way you're describing it behaving on your machine, but I'm not sure what would would be installed to cause that.

If you open up the Utilities folder (inside your applications folder) and launch the "Console" application, does anything appear in the window when you try to use that shortcut in OmniFocus?

This is the line that appears in the console.
"Finder[269]: overlaywinref is defined so we hide it"
Any ideas?

unfortunately, no - that means the Finder is doing something with that key combo, but I don't know why.

I guess you could check and see if you have a custom keyboard shortcut defined in the Keyboard and Mouse pane of System Preferences, but beyond that, I'm at a loss.

I'm at a loss as well. But thank you for trying. I checked my keyboard shortcuts in the system preferences, but that combination wasn't used by anything else.
I thought I might set this shortcut myself there, but I don't think it's accessible through the menus (only when typing a new task).
I'm sure it's some other program or process that's blocking this function. I have run a bunch of maintenance scripts but still nothing. I will keep hunting for a solution and post it here when I find it.
Thanks again for making the best GTD app going around.

I'm very thrilled to announce I have been lead to a solution for this problem through the Apple Discussions forum.
Here is the link to the thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....255819#7255819
My thanks to Brian from Omni for helping me along the way.
And everyone else at Omni for making the best GTD app anywhere.
If it were at all possible I now love Omnifocus even more.
Thanks, Paul.

Last edited by sirvivian; 2008-05-24 at 11:07 PM..

For future reference, holding down the shift key while logging in should disable those 3rd party applications and help you narrow down the problem.