The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

'Under Construction?' Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks
Woah, there are some strong words being used here - 'Controversy', 'Upset', 'Sensitive'. These don't describe my feelings at all
Ooops, OK... I didn't think I came on that strongly (didn't say 'upset' at all), maybe I should have spelt out those were air-quotes, instead of just using the apostrophes to show I wasn't being entirely serious. Obviously not enough smilies! :)

Quote:
These design things matter to me, but don't call me upset just because I don't like my Omniweb looking like a bad Shapeshifter theme!
But hey, I wasn't aiming at just you, several people seemed to be 'upset' (i.e. moved enough to talk about it!), and it was enough to prompt a blog entry. :)

...oh well, now Josue and I can start lobbying in the background for an option to keep the stripes in the released version! :p ;)

Last edited by marc; 2006-04-30 at 01:15 AM..

I wasn't just aiming at you either Marc! Sorry if you thought I was.

Yeah, I was suprised to see it as a blog entry! I kinda feel like I started all this, but its got a bit out of control. Controversy indeed!

Last edited by Jon Hicks; 2006-05-01 at 02:16 AM..

Personally, I didn't like the stripes - but now that you can turn it off it's a non-issue.

However, the 15 day limit is ass-y. I stopped using OW all together because it was just too slow, and not nearly as good as Camino IMO. With the improvements in 5.5 I can finally use the software that I loved enough to pay for in a field of free browsers.

The 15 day limit though is a total drag. I was just getting used to the idea that OW was my default browser again too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast
The 15 day limit though is a total drag. I was just getting used to the idea that OW was my default browser again too....
It's not a problem because they won't keep you from using it; you're just forced to upgrade, which is certainly a good thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
We will make sure you have a release available that isn't expired, this is just to ensure that you're running the latest build available.

Personally, I like to use old, buggy software when there's a newer version which fixes the bugs. OmniWeb makes web surfing too easy as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast
...The 15 day limit though is a total drag. I was just getting used to the idea that OW was my default browser again too....
Weeell, it is still in testing... but anyway, the issue of updates has come up a few times, so auto-update may be a welcome addition? ...esp. when the time limit is imposed to ensure old versions are replaced! :)

I've been pretty impressed with Andy Matuschak's Sparkle framework for auto-updates; it's RSS-based, and handles everything for the user (release notes, download, install, relaunch) and is worth checking out, even if just to bug your fav developers! ;)

...and of all of their apps, OmniWeb would be the most obvious to have auto-updating -- clearly you're online (yes, yes, most of the time!)

The 15 day limit just means that we're assured a new sp within that time! Thats a good thing!

Quote:
The 15 day limit just means that we're assured a new sp within that time! Thats a good thing!
+1. I agree ;).

Quote:
Actually, I think it is a good thing that we'll always have a current one. But I'd agree with the previous poster that an auto update would be nice. It's not a HUGE deal, but stopping to go grab the latest, dl and install it every 2 weeks....I dunno. It's really not a big deal I suppose - but something about it makes me feel like I'm all of a sudden NOT going to have a working version for a while. And OW is finally back to being my fave browser...

As Marc said, something like Sparkle would be great. I love the way that Textmate updates and relaunches itself.