The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus Alpha vs Various GTD Apps Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Some personal thoughts about OmniFocus and the competition.

After reading the book and beginning a search for a GTD app I settled on TR (Thinking Rock). It seemed to follow the paradigm of David Allen's philosophy closely. However I soon observed that TR's promised development cycle kept slipping so I looked at other GTD apps.

Actiontastic seemed a possibility but its development is also slow and the last posting on their web site was mid-March this year. It seems to be the project of a single developer.

The Mac community benefits from a lot of software that is the brain child of a single developer. While its often less expensive when I need software for business I'd prefer to buy from a reliable software house that has the resources to continue development and support its products.

There are good apps from single developers like Eagle Filer, Mori, TR, etc. and I'm sure people here can name a lot more BUT many suffer from the lack of resources or lack of attention or a slow development cycle.

iGTD seems to be the exception! Initally I had difficulty with iGTD's interface and had two trials before I understood how to use it and appreciate it's power. One of its killer features is the ability to press F6 and paste an email automatically creating a "new task" with the email's contents in a text box.

Now to OmniFocus, I have had the good luck to be an early Alpha Tester.

During the first couple of hours I found the "paradigm of OmniFocus" difficult to grasp. Now that I have used it OF seems more like a Project Manager with the extra benefit of contexts (Meta Tags) *than* a "true GTD app". I've no prior experience using KGTD so I had no expectation.

I don't see iGTD and OmniFocus as competitors - my personal opinion. Having said that my hope is that the Omni Group will find a way to produce some method of entering single tasks and then assigning them a context with them having to be part of a project. And I would prefer to see "View" named "Projects" and "Mode" named "Contexts".

I'm looking forward to seeing OmniFocus's report functions and hope it will print a variety of useful reports in both A4 and A5 format as well as US paper sizes. This would be very useful to Europeans and save time instead of saving reports to .PDF files and using Adobe Reader 8's Page scaling function.

It's early days but I expect to run both iGTD and OmniFocus in parallel until OmniFocus is released. My hope is the developers of OmniFocus will speed up getting to the Beta phase with all the features enabled so that we can really experience the full power of this application.

Bill

PS: In the longer term I expect I will switch to OmniFocus as much of my work is related to projects but I wished to be objective in my own observations.