The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus on iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am finding this forum to be very informative. I am trailing OmniFocus on the Mac and posted my thoughts on this discussion thread on my blog: Here's the link:

Omni Group's surprise iPad line-up and why I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I hate breaking it to people who seem set on expressing opinions not based on fact, but despite being blown up to double size, omnifocus works on iPad exactly as it does on iPhone.

I'm looking forward to an iPad native version as much as the next person, but my workflow isn't about shift so dramatically that I'm going to dump three years of omnifocus.

And I'm not going to be dumping my desktop computers in the next few weeks or months and completely replace them with an iPad either. And my desktop is where I do most of my omnifocus work.
I'm not sure what non-facts you are talking about. I don't think I mention anything that is not based on facts. I don't think anyone says that the iPad application doesn't work as it does in iPhone. In fact, it should work the same since it's the same application. However, others have released their iPhone application to work in iPad's native resolution, and I'm merely saying OG could have done that while waiting to release the exclusive iPad version.

Well, I don't think I said that I'll be dumping my MacBook Pro and iPhone since I've gotten the iPad, but I can foresee using my iPad a lot at my work and at home since I'll be having it with me in meetings (I have tons of meetings during the day) and in my home while doing other things (e.g., reading books in living room, watching TV in our den, and etc.).

For some (perhaps yourself), the iPad perhaps doesn't offer a lot of functionality, for some of us it does, and we are simply stating that we wish OG could have done something different with their current version of OF.

I literally bought the wifi iPad so I could start using Omnifocus on iPad 1 month sooner. My firstborn's on the way, and I've much focusing to do (& no, I will not offer him up unto the OMNIscient ones:D).

Keep up the good work, guys, and remember, there's plenty of time to sleep, play with new iPads, etc. AFTER the Omnifocus iPad release!:p

Sincerely,

Ben Jonesin'

I'm considering making the jump from Things to OmniFocus. I just got an iPad yesterday and of course would like to use OF on the iPad.

But, I don't want to buy the iPhone version and then have to pay another $20 (or however much the price is) for an iPad version whenever it comes out. Is there an upgrade route planned?

I would be very satisfied with a universal app with better resolution while we wait for a redesigned iPad specific app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Daniel View Post
I would be very satisfied with a universal app with better resolution while we wait for a redesigned iPad specific app.
Agreed. While a closer to desktop version would be nice - the main thing I'm after is using the iPad keyboard. I'm used omnifocus on the iPad and while it works, it is a pain to type on - the small keyboard shape works great on the iPhone where my thumbs do all the typing, but when it's in the middle of the screen on the iPad it feels really clunky and it sort of feels like a toy.

Larger busineses may be slow to adapt ipads and integrate them into their work flow, but I'm the sole IT guy for a small business and to me the iPad integrates almost seamlessly into my work flow. The work computers are all windows (out of my control unless we can get our main vendor to rewrite their apps for os x, which won't happen). I've been dying to use omnifocus for work instead of just my personal use. I saw the iPad as a way to do this (I'd be doing too much typing for it to be practical on my iPhone) and was very excited at the prospect of using an iPad to do as such (it's really easy tintype on, I've done this whole post on my couch with my iPad it it just feels natural).

I think it should say a lot when someone as invested in the omnifocus platform (desktop app + iPhone app) would consider swapping platforms. That late 2010 thing really scared me as immediately after the iPad was announced I asked about iPad support and it sounded like it was coming (while no time frame was given, I really hoped it would be here for launch or soon after) and that cemented my purchase as I re-imagined a lot of my workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettj View Post
Agreed. While a closer to desktop version would be nice - the main thing I'm after is using the iPad keyboard. I'm used omnifocus on the iPad and while it works, it is a pain to type on - the small keyboard shape works great on the iPhone where my thumbs do all the typing, but when it's in the middle of the screen on the iPad it feels really clunky and it sort of feels like a toy.
Try turning on the pixel doubling feature when typing -- I find that I can go much faster that way than with the keyboard on the iPod/iPhone. YMMV, of course.

my 2 cents
I have to agree with some other people that Things for iPad may lure some people away from OmniFocus. I am tempted myself. I chose OF initially because it was farther along in development and feature set, but Things has a really attractive UI and has caught up to some extent with features. GTD on my iPad is the killer app for me as my iphone is smaller than I would prefer for brainstorming and moving through my projects. I am not patient enough to wait 6 months or even 3 months.

Brian from Omni did state in this thread that the current OmniFocus app is a temporary solution and OmniFocus for iPad is coming....

I'm sure the OmniFolks aren't resting on their laurels right now. They're pretty committed to getting their apps on the iPad.

If we were patient enough for the iPad then we are patient enough for OmniFocus on the iPad. Heck, we had no choice but to be patient for Apple to announce the iPad back in January. And we had no choice but to be patient and wait for it to ship.....

Now we can toss bottles and throw Molotov cocktails all we want. It won't speed things up unless you're gonna roll up your sleeves, brush off your Cocoa programming manuals and pitch in with development.

I'd rather make sure the OmniFolks take their time and prepare a proper OmniFocus for the iPad. Redesigning for the bigger screen is not a cake walk. There is so much room to play with and a new interface has to be designed for it. It's basically a whole new program. Sure the underlying code is the same but the workflow needs to be carefully considered. Leave the coders in their basements and don't bother them until they come out with a brand new baby.....

As for Things, there have been many OF users who had defected to Things only to return right back. Some have stayed with Things. That's their choice and I can only wish them well on the other side. It may be a better fit for them.

OmniFocus on my iPod touch is still running strong for me. I'll be toting around my iPod touch throughout the day. The only reason I'd use OmniFocus on the iPad would most likely be for my daily review and weekly review. But I already do this on my MacBook. I did this before the iPad was announced. And I'm probably gonna keep doing this after the iPad is announced. I'll wait and see if I can justify another version of the same program.

You can always buy Things for iPad, play with it and see if you like it. When OmniFocus iPad comes out, play with that and then settle on a new workflow that best fits you. For some people, Things is the better workflow. For others, OmniFocus is the app of choice.

Heck, I know I'm still waiting for a Core i5/i7 MacBook Pro!

Two apps down... Three more to go.

+ OmniPlan
+ OmniOutliner
+ OmniFocus

Last edited by wilsonng; 2010-04-04 at 09:49 PM..

Here's another example of another iPhone developer is doing with their iPad plans:

http://www.geardiary.com/2010/03/15/...t-on-the-ipad/

The makers of Pocket Informant are not concerned about having the first or second app out the door in the productivity world. The article mentions that they will try to resize the current Pocket Informant app for the iPhone working on the iPad. Then they'll take their time and work out a brand new version of Pocket Informant for the iPad.

This is the same strategy that OmniGroup is taking. Agree with it or not. I think it's better to make sure OmniFocus for iPad is not a rushed product.