The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hyperlinks persisting in .pdf of .graffle Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can you email one of our support ninjas, including the Graffle file if possible, so we can investigate this further?

OK I do this, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
The answer is yes, in OmniGraffle 5. You will need to export to PDF as opposed to printing to PDF, but at least in Preview.app links that jump to other canvases as well as linking to URLs work fine.
I posted a bug report to Apple a few months ago about the "print to PDF breaking links in the source". I used to do this all the time way, way long ago in OS 7/8/9 days using the Acrobat driver (I was the editor of a bunch of IEEE standards using FrameMaker (RIP) and used the internal linking capability all over the place). I just started doing another doc (using Nisus/OmniGraffle) and tried doing the same, which worked fine using the print to PDF mode (failed using the the print to Adobe PDF Acrobat driver!), but when I shifted to using Pages/OmniGraffle, the links were broken unless the export option was used. All I can figure out is that the default action going through the normal print workflow is to strip links, but that the application can sometimes intercept the flow and allow links to get through.

I always use it as a PDF converted and works great.

I was having this problem of links not opening in an exported PDF in Omnigraffle 5.4. Upgrading to 5.4.1 fixed it.

m having the same problem whilst exporting a pdf and linking to pdfs. It opens my web browser and searches for file://localhost/etc...

As an internet software product manager, I've banged my head against this basic use case occasionally for about 15 years now, I guess... At the moment (ie, this year), I'm not sure what a solution would be and am trying to solve it (again). For me, simple mock-up of multi-page website concepts.

Today, best solution I've found so far with OG is:

1. Create a multi-canvas drawing
2. Hyperlink from elements on one canvas to another canvas
3. File > EXPORT
a.) Format: PDF Vector Image
b.) Export Area: Entire Document
c.) Include non-printing layers

Open this in a browser, and you can click the links. (Tested/Pass: IE9, FF on Mac, Safari on Mac).

Incidentally:
4. Put in a Dropbox > Public folder, and you can send a doc link to anyone. It will open in their browser, and the links work. This is a nifty way to mock a concept in Graffle involving multiple pages, and letting people click through it.

*1: Did not work with multiple pages on a single canvas, though when I create the hyperlink, I am selecting an object on the correct page and saving it. Going back to edit the link, it does not highlight the object or jump to the page, as though that additional info wasn't saved. Failed identically in Preview.

Fwiw - Browser differences:
  • IE9 (Win7) & Safari (Mac): used PDF viewer & provided a page (canvas) navigator, with slideshow-styled Previous/Next buttons and page counter. This was a better experience navigating between 1-page drawings, because you don't see the tops or bottom edges of the other "web pages."
  • FireFox was a half-way page browser, so I could also scroll up/down (which would be slightly confusing for my purposes, non-techies clicking hyperlinks, but seeing the other web page above/below...)
  • Chrome: links worked fine. I'm not seeing the paging browser. Scroll up & down through all the pages, or click the links.

Cheers

OG 5.4.2.
MacBook Pro 2012; Mt. Lion.