The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Send via Mail, Simple HTML- text flow hampered Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I created my document: A single column outline.
I tapped on:
  • Send via Mail
  • Simple HTML

First time I tried this I got a single extremely narrow column of text (like enough to fit a word or two) in the email.
So I went back and tried playing with the column width. That seemed to do the trick and now the text was flowing across the screen. So I sent the email.

But then I got a complaint from someone who viewed the email in Outlook 2003 (Windows) : The column width was fixed and did not reflow when the window was resized horizontally.

I opened the email in Outlook 2007 (Windows) and found that the size was fixed as a maximum but would reflow when I made the window smaller than that max.

The behaviour on Outlook 2003 is pretty bad though.

What I really want is just for the text to flow. I could just use "Plain Text" but then I lose formatting.

Can I just not have a column or something? I usually just want a simple outline.

The table widths are enforced to make multicolumn documents layout correctly. I did look at trying to special case single column documents a long time ago using the same exporter. This might be possible to do now with the simple html exporter, I'll have to look into it.

That would be great! Seems a shame that the simple case is coming out a little strange because of the more powerful features.

First of all, thanks so much for fixing the single column case! I am now relying on the Simple HTML export a couple times a week for a work email that goes out to a ton of people globally.

One tiny thing left that makes these emails look a bit unprofessional: The bullets on blank lines. It is visually distracting and people ask about it because it looks odd.

I tried just editing them out in the Mail app before sending the email but, when viewing the resulting email in Outlook, that resulted in Outlook eliminating the blank lines altogether losing my white space, (yes, I know Outlook has its own "special" ways of doing things.)

Any chance you could not export the bullets on blank lines at least in Simple HTML export? Or perhaps provide an option to turn that off? (Though it is unclear to me why anyone would ever want it on. It doesn't really serve any purpose once you're done editing the document and just want to view it.)

Last edited by SWCarson; 2011-06-30 at 10:48 AM..