The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync by disk and iPhone (Bonjour) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello there. My frustration with OmniFocus syncing is that I can't sync using multiple methods. For instance, I sync my laptop and desktop using Dropbox, so that uses the Disk sync.

I also have the iPhone app and would like to have OmniFocus updated there as well. However, I can't do Bonjour sync for the iPhone and disk sync for my laptop at the same time. So every time I want to sync one or the other I would be forced to go change my preferences. I ended up just not using the iPhone app at all, which is frustrating since I paid for it.

It seems reasonable to assume people may want to sync using the iPhone app and another method, but only one is possible for me right now. Thanks!

Why not use a WebDAV or Bonjour sync for all three devices?

I understand that there is now a process for getting a refund on purchases from the App Store, but I don't know what it is, or how long you have to request it.

The reason I don't want to use Bonjour is because it requires me to have both computers on the same network and open to sync properly. Most of the time my laptop is not in my office, so the best way to sync is using dropbox.

I should look more into WebDAV, just seems very complicated. I might be forced to check it out. I just prefer my stuff all being on Dropbox if possible. Thanks!

Go to Amazon and order one of their discounted MobileMe boxes for a bit more than a dollar a week. Now you've solved your webdav supplier issue for a year, and configuration is not really any harder than it is for the Bonjour method. Over the course of the year, you can fool around with seeing if you like one of the free services mentioned elsewhere (there's a thread discussing them on the main sync forum, I think), or even set up your own if you want to get your hands dirty.

Or, instead of Amazon, go directly to http://www.me.com and sign up for a 60 day free trial, and do the above process 6x as fast :)

One thing: don't turn on the Mac's "iDisk disk sync" (shouldn't be an issue, you are using Dropbox) unless you tell OmniFocus to store its database in the Backup folder instead of the Documents folder on the iDisk.

Dropbox doesn't do webdav, and 3rd party iPhone apps can't get at each other's data. Therefore, OmniFocus on the iPhone isn't likely to be able to use Dropbox as a sync mechanism directly. As for having two different sync mechanisms active, that would require clients to serve as gateways, and while it isn't an impossible bit of coding, there are a lot of other features that get asked for on the forum much more frequently that we've been promised will be delivered but have yet to arrive, and no apparent champion of the idea at Omni, which is my long-winded way of suggesting that maybe you shouldn't hold your breath while waiting :)