The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 5.5 plist Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
maybe I should send a copy in via feedback.
That would be good since it's the official way to request features and report bugs. Many of the bugs I post here I also send in. I just post them here for discussion. Some of them I don't post here as there's no real need for discussion.

You may also want to send in a copy of your site prefs so they can use them to help isolate the issue you encountered.

Great article on corrupt preferences, how to use PLE and some 3rd party tools today on MacFixit.

* You can directly check on the integrity of .plist files. You can do this with a Unix program (run form Terminal) called plutil.

Tutorial: Troubleshooting Preferences (5 parts)
Tutorial on Property List Editor
Preferential Treatment
plutil
Pref Setter
PlistEdit Pro

Still looking at how to manage OW's plist. (It seems that recently, w/o a crash or any problem, sites are having trouble loading, and the only changes have been to other site-specific prefs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
(side note: I greatly dislike the requirement for the minimum. length of a post in this forum. see: http://www.wisdomquotes.com/cat_brevity.html)
you can get around that by adding some space between the text and punctuation.

and the forum also doesn't like all-caps post titles.

Last edited by afb; 2006-06-08 at 03:25 PM..

gtk, ty .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
You have seen and replied to my other thread where I discovered that my plist file that worked up thru SP11 wasn't working or allowing some web pages to load in SP12.

Interesting..... I had simil;ar problems lately and in sp13 OW was crashing all the time. I ended up trashing my .plist assuming it was simply corrupted (and everything has been peachy since then)... Reading this, I'm suspecting it actually was that the newer versions of OW need newer formats fo .plists. I second your requests then,

Corentin

Corentin's crash was not because of corrupt settings--the crash was just in code that was only executed when you had non-default settings, resetting preferences would merely have masked the problem until people chose the same settings again.

Last edited by Len Case; 2006-06-09 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Specifying which crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
Corentin's crash was not because of corrupt settings--the crash was just in code that was only executed when you had non-default settings, resetting preferences would merely have masked the problem until people chose the same settings again.

Is it the "request pages in your favorite language" bug ??
In any case, I still feel better knowing I now have nice clean new prefs :-)

For one, I'd like to see shortcuts put in a separate prefs file as well. Setting site-specific preferences is, for me, a do-it-as-you-go-along kinda thing... even if the prefs file was deleted every quit or crash, the problem is no worse than any other browser. Shortcuts, on the other hand, especially non-search shortcuts, are something that take a while to configure and get back to your original settings, and you do it all at once, because it requires a trip to Preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhd123
Shortcuts, on the other hand, especially non-search shortcuts, are something that take a while to configure and get back to your original settings, and you do it all at once, because it requires a trip to Preferences.
Actually, you can set the non-search shortcuts from bookmarks... If you pull up your bookmarks and look in the Bookmark Info, you have "Keyword" which sets the shortcut for you.

By the way, I have never had a corrupted preference file to my knowledge, is this a common problem for other people?