The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do you use Mac contexts? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Apologies if this question has been asked already.

I'm just getting started with OmniFocus and am wondering how to get the most out of the contexts. They seem best suited for Errand type actions which require a certain location or time to complete the task. However, the majority of my actions can be completed on the computer so I can do them at any time.

How do you use contexts with these computer-related tasks? To me it seems easier to not bother with contexts and work directly from the project view but maybe I'm missing something.

I have three Mac contexts: offline, email, and Internet. I'm thinking of adding a "home" subcontext too for those tasks that really need my 24" monitor.

My current context list looks like this:

Reflection
Reading
Agendas (with subcontexts for important individuals)
Computer
--Internet
--Email
Errands
Home
Library
Office
Phone
Study
Briefcase
Waiting

I'll often scan my office context at the end of the day and put anything that can't wait until the next day into my Briefcase context (both literally and in OF) so I have it available wherever I am.

Since much of what I do is also at the computer, I have the following:

Email
computer
..laptop
..computer (home office)
..servers
..online
blog
pay bills

Here are my computer contexts:

Computer
--Editing for revising papers
--Email
--Planning for when I quick-enter items that I know are projects, but don't want to plan at the moment
--Reading
--Problem Solving really "programming", but problem solving is a mindset
--Writing for sh**ty first drafts
--On-line
----Web
----Angel a course management system
--PowerBook
--MacBook Pro
--G5
--Dell ugh, but I don't always have a choice

This is probably more structure than I actually need, but it works OK for me. Separate Writing and Editing into two separate contexts is very helpful. Because they require different energy levels and different states of mind. The machine-specific contexts at the end are mostly for system maintenance tasks, like Install Leopard or Set Up SuperDuper backups.

Curt