The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Focus for OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to Omni products and I am very impressed. That said, I am wondering what the focus of OmniFocus is. I sort of get the "getting things done thing", but is the development plan for OmniFocus to create an OmniPlan for people without the need for colaboration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotterdk View Post
I am new to Omni products and I am very impressed. That said, I am wondering what the focus of OmniFocus is. I sort of get the "getting things done thing", but is the development plan for OmniFocus to create an OmniPlan for people without the need for colaboration?
As stated on the OmniFocus Website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniFocus Website
Task management shouldn’t be your full time job. We’ve built OmniFocus to take a load off your mind by managing your tasks the way that you want, freeing you to focus your attention on the things that matter to you most. Finish that novel. Spend more time with your friends and family. Grow your business. Let us worry about keeping your goals and tasks, both personal and professional, in one ordered, easy to access system that you can depend on.

Flexible Task Management

OmniFocus works great as a Getting Things Done® trusted system but can also be used to fit other task management styles. You can add or hide features such as start and due dates, time estimates and task recurrence based on how you manage your tasks. With the Perspectives feature you can easily restore customizations with the click of a button.

Thanks, I sort of get that. The web site states that OmniFocus is for personal task management and that OmniPlan is for project management. However, when you dig into the programs as a new user, you find that both manage tasks and projects. The main difference between the two programs appears to be the advanced Gantt chart view and the ability to realign different aspects of a task or project in OmniPlan and the "getting things done" interface and "quick clipping" cabalities in OmniFocus.

Sorry this isn't more clear; OmniFocus is focused on capturing, organizing, and doing, while OmniPlan is focused on planning and reporting.

Our long-range plan is for OmniPlan to be able to send tasks to team members' OmniFocus libraries, and for OmniFocus to send status updates on those tasks back to OmniPlan.