The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inherit Context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Setting contexts can be tedious and sometimes I end up with straggling actions with no context which makes them easy to miss. If an action has No Context, I think it should always automatically inherit the context of the parent project.

It looks like this is partially supported, but it doesn't happen all the time. For example, if I create a project with no context and add several actions (with no context). And then I set the context of the project, the actions are still set to No Context.

Also, is there any way to set the context for a folder? I think that would be helpful if projects, by default, inherited the folder's context. What do you think?

Not an answer to your question, but I'm curious what about setting contexts is tedious for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbates View Post
Setting contexts can be tedious and sometimes I end up with straggling actions with no context which makes them easy to miss. If an action has No Context, I think it should always automatically inherit the context of the parent project.

It looks like this is partially supported, but it doesn't happen all the time. For example, if I create a project with no context and add several actions (with no context). And then I set the context of the project, the actions are still set to No Context.

Also, is there any way to set the context for a folder? I think that would be helpful if projects, by default, inherited the folder's context. What do you think?
It's the same for me here. When you want to add a default context to the project you should do that when creating the project, then every task inherits the context.

I don't think it's possible to set a default context for a given folder, maybe you want to tell Omni and send them some feedback.

Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbates View Post
That's how I expect OmniFocus to behave. Setting the context of a project means setting the default, not necessarily the actual context of each action.

You can easily set all your contextless actions to the same context at once: either in Planning or Context mode, select all the actions (command-click or shift-click) whose context you want to set and use the Action inspector to set the same context for all of them.