The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

very basic help Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to OF. I downloaded 1.03 a few day ago. It appears that in order to sync across multiple computers, I need to download 1.1alpha. Is this true?

Later, I hope to add in OF for iPhone, but first I want to learn to use the program on my 2 active computers.

I see that 1.1 is half the size of 1.03. . .do I discard 1.03 from my appications folder, and then download 1.1alpha, or do I "replace" 1.03 with 1.1.

Either way, will this mess up the information I put into the 1.03 version already?

Once I have the correct version in use, how do I get it to sync? I have a MobileMe account already, so theoretically, it should be easy. That said, no where can I find a simple step-by-step guide.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

1) Yes, you need OmniFocus 1.1 to sync across multiple computers.
2) Your OmniFocus data is stored in your home folder, not in the application itself, so you can replace 1.0.3 with 1.1. Or you can put one of them in a separate folder temporarily until you're sure 1.1 is behaving itself.
(I believe 1.1 is so much smaller because it is only in English at the moment. We'll add localizations closer to final release.)

3) Once you have OmniFocus 1.1, make sure System Preferences knows about your MobileMe account. Then open OmniFocus preferences and look at the Sync tab. (A big orange circle) There should be a Location field, which you can probably leave alone and a Sync Now button. Click that and your first sync should start.

The Help included with OmniFocus 1.1 has some more details.

Yepp, I also need basic help and would also love a step by step-tutorial on setting up sync.
My problem is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
3) Once you have OmniFocus 1.1, make sure System Preferences knows about your MobileMe account.
What is menat by that? If i open system preferences it shows my MobileMe-account, plus I can edit it. So I guess system preferences knows about my account.

But this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Then open OmniFocus preferences and look at the Sync tab. (A big orange circle)
just doesnŽt show. No circle, no sync button just a sync button with the Ical-symbol and a list of contexts to be synced in the action field.

Thanxalot, Frank

frankweinreich: sounds like you're still running OmniFocus 1.0.3. You must download OmniFocus 1.1 in order to sync with an iPhone (and be willing to download updates frequently until we finish the sneaky peek phase and release a final build).

If you are okay with running a not-quite-stable version of OmniFocus, you can download 1.1 here: http://www.omnigroup.com/application...ad/sneakypeek/

Thank you, Lizard!

I just tried to upgrade to 1.5, latest nightly build (canŽt find 1.1, that you suggested, anymore). But the program always crashes after I hit "backup and upgrade". Guess it might be because I use the German version of 1.0.3?

Well, I am not dependend on the gemran version so I put 1.0.3 in the trash bin and moved the copy of the database into another directory. But still 1.5 wants to backup and upgrade ... and crashes. Do I have to wait until there is a localization into German?

Oh man, I really like Omnifocus, but I would love to sync with my MacBook pro also :-)

Frank

1.1 was renamed to 1.5 shortly after I made that post. So you have the version I intended.

When you get the CrashCatcher dialog, please add a note saying that you are trying to upgrade from 1.0.3 (and also mention that you're running in German) and email that crash report to us.

I'm not sure what's going wrong for you, so I encourage you to contact our support ninjas at omnifocus@omnigroup.com so they can get the details and help resolve your problems with upgrading.

Thanks, Lizard, IŽll do that, Frank