The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.8 sneaky peeks are now available Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Did you remove CMD+W? Because if I close it by CMD+W it wan't reopen, if I click on the icon or in the menubar - I've to close the App and restart it.

Hmm, are you sure about that? If I close all my windows via repeated cmd-W, clicking on the dock icon brings up a new window (this under SL). What happens if you do File->New Window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Hmm, are you sure about that? If I close all my windows via repeated cmd-W, clicking on the dock icon brings up a new window (this under SL). What happens if you do File->New Window?
Hey,
no I'm sure - I'm on 1.8 and SL and if I close OF bye CMD+W and click on the dock-icon nothing happens. If I'll go to File -> New Window, it works. Menubar works too (right above in the corner, left beside the clock).

How odd -- I wonder what the difference is that makes it work for me and not for you. I would contact the support ninjas directly (Help->Send Feedback) rather than hoping that they will see your post on the forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
How odd -- I wonder what the difference is that makes it work for me and not for you. I would contact the support ninjas directly (Help->Send Feedback) rather than hoping that they will see your post on the forum...
Thank you :)

Since nothing much has been changing in the sneaky peek builds on the Mac side lately, I've been skipping the last few updates. This morning, however, OmniFocus basically "expired" on me, forcing me to go visit the web page or RSS feed to download the latest sneaky peek.

In the process, I noticed that the RSS feed is actually about three weeks old -- the last version showing up in the feed is from March 2nd, and isn't even available for download any more. The web site had the latest version, so I was able to download that and proceed with no problems.

I'm also wondering why the app can't just download the latest update in this case using the normal update method rather than forcing me to visit the web site to get it? Obviously if I had not skipped the previous update yesterday it would have downloaded it automatically for me, however it doesn't seem to make much sense once I'm past the "expiry" date that I have to go out and get the latest build and install it manually rather than just being able to use the same auto-update process (perhaps with the "Skip" button greyed out).

Yeah, it'd be nice if the software updater warned you that your current build was going to expire before the next time the software updater was going to check, and I don't really understand why upon detecting that your current build has expired, the software updater can't be used to download the latest version.

There is a message emitted to the console log when the app is launched that mentions how many hours there are until build expiration, if I recall correctly, but that's pretty low visibility for most users, I think :-)

It also seems like bumping up the shelf life on the builds before turning away to work on iPad matters would have been a thoughtful move. The stated purpose of the expiration has been to keep us from encountering and reporting bugs in older versions which might have been fixed in newer versions, but when you know there aren't going to be any substantively different newer versions, there's no point.

I'm sure OG and especially KC are busy trying to put the finishing touches on their iPad applications. My emails to OG folks including KC haven't answered in several days, but I understand. It's only a few days left for them if they want to release the applications on 4/3.

OF for iPad will be the first application I'll by for my iPad once I have it on Monday (4/5). No Saturday delivery to my organization I'm afraid.

From some comments I saw earlier, I'm not sure that OF will be coming to the iPad immediately at launch. I seem to recall KC mentioning that they wanted to give priority to apps like OmniGraphSketcher that aren't already available in an iPhone OS version.

That said, I do fear that the iPhone version of OF is going to look pretty weird on the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
From some comments I saw earlier, I'm not sure that OF will be coming to the iPad immediately at launch. I seem to recall KC mentioning that they wanted to give priority to apps like OmniGraphSketcher that aren't already available in an iPhone OS version.

That said, I do fear that the iPhone version of OF is going to look pretty weird on the iPad.
I was pretty sure OF will be available on the day if not immediately after the iPad launch. Here is what KC said in OG's blog: "This is a big undertaking, and we can't do it all at once. We started working on iPad adaptations of OmniGraffle and OmniFocus as soon as the SDK was made available Wednesday afternoon, and we're hoping to get started with OmniGraphSketcher for iPad within the next few weeks."

I also assume all the new builds we are seeing is part of iPad version build they are doing since nothing is being done on Mac or iPhone side.

Ken