The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Leading a team using OF and...? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else in here uses 5pmweb to meet their collaborative project management and if/ how they link it with their own OmniFocus set up. If not, is the a similar PM application that works nicely with OF that may be worth considering?

I use the OF triple platform system to allow me to manage my personal tasks/ projects including creating tasks from an AdventNet Helpdesk system in which I use Applescript to parse the automated email that I receive when I am assigned a job, into a OF task complete with full details and a dated & timed due date. ( The script can be made available should anyone be able to make use of it). My personal system therefore works pretty well.

However, as a leader of 3 other developers, I'm constantly evaluating project management applications to see if I can widen this efficiency to the rest of the team. I'd like to be able to get an overview of progress of a range of projects (some of which will have been delegated to others) and get them into my review system. With 5pm I can download tasks as an iCal calendar but I haven't quite figured out how I can make use of this in OF.

Any pointers or any details of others' systems whereby you act as a leader for other non-OF users but incorporate their tasks into your system would be appreciated.

Getting OmniPlan and OmniFocus talking to each other is something we're interested in doing, but that doesn't help in the short term... I'm hoping a subsequent poster will have some ideas for you. :-)

I have started work on a Pivotal Tracker - OmniFocus sync tool. Mostly planning stages right now, but will be available on GitHub when I free up some time to actually have a fully working solution.

Any suggestions/requests/criticism, etc is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finlay Boo View Post
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else in here uses 5pmweb to meet their collaborative project management and if/ how they link it with their own OmniFocus set up. If not, is the a similar PM application that works nicely with OF that may be worth considering?

I use the OF triple platform system to allow me to manage my personal tasks/ projects including creating tasks from an AdventNet Helpdesk system in which I use Applescript to parse the automated email that I receive when I am assigned a job, into a OF task complete with full details and a dated & timed due date. ( The script can be made available should anyone be able to make use of it). My personal system therefore works pretty well.

However, as a leader of 3 other developers, I'm constantly evaluating project management applications to see if I can widen this efficiency to the rest of the team. I'd like to be able to get an overview of progress of a range of projects (some of which will have been delegated to others) and get them into my review system. With 5pm I can download tasks as an iCal calendar but I haven't quite figured out how I can make use of this in OF.

Any pointers or any details of others' systems whereby you act as a leader for other non-OF users but incorporate their tasks into your system would be appreciated.
Any web-based system that uses separate URLs for each page should be relatively easy to integrate into Omnifocus using clippings.

For instance, in Basecamp, when you assign tasks to other people, you could set up the task in Basecamp, assign it to them, then use the Clipping service or the Send to Omnifocus bookmarklet to capture the task as a waiting on or agenda item for that person.

To review what people are assigning to each other or have listed as their own to-do's, you could easily include that as part of a daily or weekly review. Create a review template (in something like Omnioutliner) or project/task and include in the links URLs to the to-do lists for ongoing projects. Review them, check them off in the project, and mark the project as reviewed.

Niels, I'd love to find out about PT<>OmniFocus.

Neils, I'd love to see some version of the Pivotal Integration as well.

Would you mind posting your work on github before it's fully-functional?

I have a simple use case in mind - for every new pivotal story of mine, create a structured project in omnifocus with basic steps that I'd need to complete the story. I might possibly contribute pieces to this.

Big +1 to a pivotal <> OF tool

Bigger +100 to a pivotal <> OF tool

Great news!

I agree with syrnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrnick View Post
For every new pivotal story of mine, create a structured project in omnifocus with basic steps that I'd need to complete the story.
For starters, simply being able to sync up Stories (PT) with Projects (OF) and Tasks (PT) with Action Items (OF) would be crazy helpful.

I would also be willing to contribute if you open up the github project.

Hi! this is over a year old.. Has anything happened with this project?