The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Feedback on Recurring/Repeating Tasks
Task 1 extending as one task 6 18.75%
Task 2 splitting into segments 22 68.75%
Recurring tasks on a single row 27 84.38%
Recurring tasks on separate rows 7 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Feedback on Recurring/Repeating Tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey everyone,

Recurring/repeating tasks are a popular feature request for OmniPlan. We want to add this feature in OmniPlan 2.0 but would like your feedback on a couple of things. Below is a mockup showing two examples of how regular tasks might look when a recurring task is added to a project:

In this mockup we have a daily meeting from 8am-9am every day and two 2d duration tasks.

Task 1 is extending around the recurring daily meetings. This is the current behavior in OmniPlan when dealing with off-hours when they're displayed. If you drag a task into a period of off-hours, OmniPlan will automatically extend the task bar into the next available work period.

Task 2 is splitting into multiple segments around the daily meetings instead of expanding. It doesn't do this automatically, you need to level your project in order for the task splits to happen.

Which one do you prefer? Also, would you like recurring tasks to appear on the same row (as shown above) or on a separate row for each occurrence?

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by skwirl; 2009-03-04 at 05:22 PM..

Definitely Task 2, esp. since the split is optional (you need to level first). Also, same row as above, if you make them each a new line, the project view could end up being very, very tall.

I just discovered that voting privileges were disabled for forum members all this time, sorry about that!

Voting privileges have been re-enabled, so toss your votes in! :-)

And here you thought we just didn't care :-)

Can this be a selectable option. I have projects that could use both style depending on the repeating task.

As for rows a roll-up showing all on one line that could be expanded to show separate rows would meet both needs.

It is pretty standard to show repeating tasks on a single row, so I think that is a must. I think the task 1/2 option needs to be just that - up to the user to decide. If there are very few tasks, splitting works ok, but if you have a lot of tasks going on at one time it would look bad. In fact, I don't think task 2 is really necessary, but it would be nice as an eye candy option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1142270 View Post
chinese cultural customs, learn chinese in china, study chinese in china and for those who wish to have a greater understanding of an easy way to learn mandarin. It's never too late to start!
there's a repeating task for ya .. Learn Mandarin : ) oops ! that's a project LOL..

I have no strong opinion on how it should be implemented (yet).

But speaking as someone who's been using Omniplan for all of an hour, it's discouraging to think, "Wait, it's got to be able to do that!"", and discover not only it doesn't, but that other users have been having been requesting the feature for years.

Forgive me if I'm being unduly snarky, but my "Oh God! This will make life so much easier" parade has just been rained on. All our tasks repeat.

Can't wait for this option to be available. Most of our tasks fit into the recurring task category. But, I would also like to vote for being able to select either behavior with respect to other tasks. It would be nice to be able to see the segment breaks without leveling, too.

Sounds like v2 will solve a lot of my problems - can't wait!

Edit: Just realized when the original post was made - hope you guys can get v2 out before iPad mania sets in. An iPad version would be awesome, though...

Last edited by snoggle; 2010-03-06 at 08:36 AM..

I don't see the mock-ups -- not sure if they've been taken down or what, but they would be helpful when figuring out how to vote.