The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quick Entry skips the Inbox? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I apologize -- I did search to see if this is covered elsewhere -- but my question probably reeks of "newbie."

When I enter an action using quick entry, I find myself tempted to add a project. After all, the box is there inviting me to do so. However, when I do so, it then skips the Inbox.

Yet the action might be incomplete at the point of quick entry -- for example, it certainly lacks a due date! Other than training myself to leave the project setting blank, is there any way to force the quick entry to go to the Inbox so I remember to fill in missing information (such as a due date) later? Or do you think leaving the project name blank is the best way to handle it?

Thanks!

It used to go to the Inbox first, but the default is now to skip the Inbox.

From the release notes archive:

Quote:
Items entered in Quick Entry are now filed immediately if you assign them to a project or context, rather than being left in the inbox. (I like to call this the "touch once" behavior.) If you liked the old behavior of having them go to the inbox for review before they get filed (what you might call "no accidents" behavior), you can get the old behavior by setting the QuickEntryItemsGoToInbox default to true.
This preference still works, you will need to manually add it to the preference file located at:

~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist

I used Pref Setter, you can also use Apple's Property List Editor. Create a new boolean key at the root with the name QuickEntryItemsGoToInbox and set it to true.

Hopefully this will make it into the Quick Entry preferences in the app itself, as this is my preferred behaviour as well. I usually don't make very good next actions from Quick Entry :)

^posts like that that make me wish this forum had a karma button :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan View Post
^posts like that that make me wish this forum had a karma button :)
Yes, ^+, ^+++

Thanks Cottser for the extremely helpful response...!

If you are somewhat comfortable with the Terminal you can also set this preference by quitting OmniFocus and entering in the Terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus QuickEntryItemsGoToInbox -bool true

Curt

Glad it was helpful, and thanks Curt, that's even easier.