The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Enhancement Wanted: Notes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like the ability to add notes similar to an activity but not attached to an activity

I don't think I understand. Projects can have notes in OF. How is that different than what you are looking for? Can you say more?

Curt

Possibly I've missed something, but what I'd like is the ability to just enter a note and have it show up under a project similar to how actions show up.

Many times I just want to capture a note or piece of information but it won't necessarialy be an action.

It sounds like what you need is Omnioutliner, that is the tool for notes.

Alternatively, maybe what you want is plain text notes that show in the bottom half of the sidebar and related to a specific project or context overall, when you select that project or context in Omnifocus.

OF doesn't provide for that functionality (it's not geared toward keeping all the pieces of a project in one place, but rather for keeping track of the actions of that project), but you can link to other applications which store those notes (journler, devonthink, yojimbo, even textedit).

You used to be able to fake this in OF by using inactive contexts, but it appears the ability to put an action into an inactive context went away; not sure when as I never really used that behavior.

I need something for notes as well... and don't think OmniFocus is the tool for it.

The notes I want to keep are things I have learned that I may need for reference in the future.

I used to use Mark/Space Memo Pad, because it synced with my now gone palm.

iPhone notes syncing into mail would be perfect, but that functionality isn't there yet.

I've been looking into Yojimbo because I trust the developers products. (Text Wrangler is such a cool tool) and I saw a note that Mark/Space Missing Sync would be able to sync Yojimbo notes to iphone notes in 2007 Q4.

The problem arises when I am working on a project, and taking notes in a different application. At some point I assume we will be able to link another application's file to OmniFocus. So I could link a note to OmniFocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_butler View Post
Possibly I've missed something, but what I'd like is the ability to just enter a note and have it show up under a project similar to how actions show up.
Have you tried just editing the project's notes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
At some point I assume we will be able to link another application's file to OmniFocus. So I could link a note to OmniFocus.
OmniFocus currently allows you to link to other documents by dragging them into your notes. Was that what you were thinking of, or did you have something else in mind?

I haven't seen those you mention Spiral, but the best I've seen is:

Notetaker: has nice presentation, is inexpensive ($25), and can make websites out of notes.

Omnioutliner: much more versatile with full CSS support, cost a little more ($35 or $65). Get the $65 pro version for $10 off Omnifocus and obviously it works with Omnifocus too.

Screencastonline.com has done some great videos on both of these products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
The problem arises when I am working on a project, and taking notes in a different application. At some point I assume we will be able to link another application's file to OmniFocus. So I could link a note to OmniFocus.
As Ken said, you can link a file already to OmniFocus entries.

After trying a range of apps (Circus Ponies' Notebook, Yojimbo, StickyBrain, and SOHO Notes), I've settled on three snippet and notetaking applications: DEVONthink Pro for my serious scholarly research, Journler for all my other notes and snippets (work and personal), and MacJournal for keeping journals. The only drawback to this trio is that DevonThink doesn't yet support Spotlight. Supposedly it will in version 2.0.