The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New OO4 search box design is so inefficient. Here's a side by side screencast comparison with OO3 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I’ve created a screencast comparing the search box design of OO3 and OO4 and I think it shows how much more inefficient and how many more steps are required to do most search tasks in the OO4 search box. For someone like me with very large outlines and searches a lot the new design is really annoying and when you see the side by side with the old design the new changes make no sense. It's literally takes 2-4x more steps and time to do certain search tasks in OO4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWmGLUUakX4

Last edited by random1destiny; 2014-03-25 at 01:08 PM..

There is suppose to be the option to change your search scope to the whole document but there were some major bugs with this so it has been temporarily removed until we can get it working right. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ok, good to hear that. That will address the global to section scope issue, but I think my video brings up several other issues.

1) Scope change selector - being addressed like you said

These still are issues:

2) Changing search between sections still requires twice as many clicks, mostly because of the following two points:

3) Search should refresh as soon as you start typing new query on top of old query. Right now you have to manually click the x or delete whereas you could just start typing over old results immediate in oo3. This is an unnecessary extra step.

4a) If I jump to a new section/scope and want to search the same query as is already in the box I should be able to just press Enter and have it re-search the current section. I don't understand why I have to delete and retype the same exact query over to re-search in the new section/scope.

4b) If the user has changed their position in the document since the last search was done, the search results section should show where the last search query was scoped. If I did a search in a focused section, then navigate to the whole document and go back to the search much later I have no idea if it is looking at the local or global scope. This is one reason it's taken me so long to do this writeup about the search, I had no idea about this automatic search scope changing and could not figure out why I was only getting matches some of the time and not others. I've figured it out now but this is an extremely unclear interface behavior.

5) Clicking on the search button should put the cursor in the search box even if the cursor is inside a row at the time (I cover this at the end of the video). In oo4 the cursor doesn't move to the search box when the cursor is in the document and this makes no sense. If you click the search button you obviously want to type something in the search box immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random1destiny View Post
3) Search should refresh as soon as you start typing new query on top of old query. Right now you have to manually click the x or delete whereas you could just start typing over old results immediate in oo3. This is an unnecessary extra step.
It is actually refreshing when you type, but to avoid refreshing every single key press which could take a long time in bigger documents, it has a delay. The issue here is with quickly typing the same search string that was already there. If the string hasn't changed, it doesn't re-search, I would would probably call this a bug.

Quote:
4a) If I jump to a new section/scope and want to search the same query as is already in the box I should be able to just press Enter and have it re-search the current section. I don't understand why I have to delete and retype the same exact query over to re-search in the new section/scope.
Same issue as mentioned above.

Quote:
4b) If the user has changed their position in the document since the last search was done, the search results section should show where the last search query was scoped. If I did a search in a focused section, then navigate to the whole document and go back to the search much later I have no idea if it is looking at the local or global scope. This is one reason it's taken me so long to do this writeup about the search, I had no idea about this automatic search scope changing and could not figure out why I was only getting matches some of the time and not others. I've figured it out now but this is an extremely unclear interface behavior.
We are aware of this.

Quote:
5) Clicking on the search button should put the cursor in the search box even if the cursor is inside a row at the time (I cover this at the end of the video). In oo4 the cursor doesn't move to the search box when the cursor is in the document and this makes no sense. If you click the search button you obviously want to type something in the search box immediately.
Yes, this is a bug we intend to fix.

Quote:
It is actually refreshing when you type, but to avoid refreshing every single key press which could take a long time in bigger documents, it has a delay. The issue here is with quickly typing the same search string that was already there. If the string hasn't changed, it doesn't re-search, I would would probably call this a bug.
Ah, I just tested this and see that that is what is happening now. I did notice it did seem to work once in a while if I typed slow but I thought I was imagining things, hehe.