The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iGTD on par with KGTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey OmniGroup... time to release the hounds.

iGTD has caught up and is about to start to eat into your profits. Get OmniFocus out there or hire the guy doing iGTD and fast.

BZ

I'm using iGTD now, was using kGTD. I like iGTD a great deal, I post on the forum, make recommedations, even made a donation. But despite all that, I still prefer the outline UI of OO and the tremendous flexibility of the outline paradigm.

From what I've gathered from the limited OMNI releases about Focus, the UI will be very similar to OO. But then again, iGTD has Smart Folders, and it syncs very well.

Basically I've bought iGTS already, but I'm still really looking forward to the OmniFocus release.

Isn't competition great?

The one thing keeping me on the OF wait list (and not jumping into the iGTD) is that Omni has promised a kGTD import which with me and my 80+ projects and hundreds of tasks is VERY important.

I will wait for the great Omni a bit more (May-ish).

BZ

OK, iGTD has been out for awhile and everyone and their grandmother is using it, it seems, me included.

However, as the feature requests are becoming more refined, due to people actually using iGTD for some time, I'm seeing a pattern develope. It could just be me and my wishful thinking, however.

I keep seeing requests for the type of features that already exist in kGTD. Such as manual sorting, start times, easy upgrading/downgrading of tasks to and from projects.

Now I'm sure it's me, but the user interface issue of iGTD still bothers me, probably because I started with OmniOutliner and kGTD. I really like the basic outline view and the great flexibility of OO. I don't see this ever happening in iGTD.

It's just a different viewing preference, and I'm sure a great deal of people prefer the iGTD view.

As it stands right now, I will continue using iGTD because kGTD is slow and clunky feeling. The more I use iGTD, the more I'm looking forward to OmniFocus, if I understand correctly that the UI will similar to that of OO.

Another thing I just realized in my wishful thinking moment as I was opening iCal and iGTD.

I was thinking that it's too bad that GTD isn't already possible in OSX. That's when it dawned on me that OSX does include the basic building block for GTD.

What does everyone seem to do with their data in a GTD app? They sync it with iCal. Why? OK, no hopping over the fence to view this from the other side, the stuff we have in iCal is in GTD, which really means GTD is a glorified, additional interface for iCal. In otherwords, a To-Do sorter.

I hate how To-Do's are implemented in iCal. Events are nicely sorted into a regular calendar view of some type with some basic graphics for viewing. To-Do's is nothing but this big long list all bunched together in a single column.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that prevents a bunch of To-Do's in iCal/GTD from being viewed in the much more organized and prettier view like events are is the fact that To-Do's don't have a time stamp on them.

On the iGTD forum I think I remember reading a request for flowchart type view. Like the OmniPlan view.

So what's the point of syncing stuff with iCal? When the syncing is done, it's just all crammed into a single column list and looks terrible, well, to me anyway.

Related to this is the GTD Context, or doing stuff based on where we are at the moment. What determines where we're going to be? More than likely some Event (the pretty view in iCal) that makes us be some place at a set time. Not always, but this is how it is for me.

So in reality, it's an event, or maybe the lack of some event, that controls where we are, we just refer to GTD when we find ourselves there.

Sorry for rambling, just expressing my thoughts that probably don't mean a darn thing in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
...I was thinking that it's too bad that GTD isn't already possible in OSX. That's when it dawned on me that OSX does include the basic building block for GTD.
Ready-Set-Do! for is not tied to a particular application for GTD purposes, but it does rely on the OS IIRC.

Quote:
What does everyone seem to do with their data in a GTD app? They sync it with iCal.
I don’t. I prefer not to use iCal or Address Book. Unfortunately they are becoming the ‘standard’ so any application I do use better have synchronization capabilities with iCal and Address Book.

Quote:
...Related to this is the GTD Context, or doing stuff based on where we are at the moment. What determines where we're going to be? More than likely some Event (the pretty view in iCal) that makes us be some place at a set time. Not always, but this is how it is for me.
For me a context is not merely a physical place. I can be at my desk and use the context @Phone, @Email, @Computer, etc. Same place, different contexts.

Quote:
Now I'm sure it's me, but the user interface issue of iGTD still bothers me, probably because I started with OmniOutliner and kGTD. I really like the basic outline view and the great flexibility of OO. I don't see this ever happening in iGTD.

It's just a different viewing preference, and I'm sure a great deal of people prefer the iGTD view.
Yes, I agree...

For me it's the other way around. I've had OmniOutliner for quite some time and did use kGTD. The one thing I always felt about the two was that I *didn't* want an outline view for a GTD app. I always felt the OO view was a kluge for a GTD app and have been hoping Omni does not stick with this paradigm in OmniFocus. After trying out most other GTD apps and using a few in succession, I finally settled on iGTD. There's a feel about it that works for me - call it the workflow. Whatever.

- Pierre

Quote:
What does everyone seem to do with their data in a GTD app? They sync it with iCal. Why?
I sync with iCal so that my next actions will propagate to all my other devices via Sync Services. In other words, as soon as the GTD app syncs with iCal, BOOM! The data is everywhere: On my iPod, my Treo, my other Macs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaro
I sync with iCal so that my next actions will propagate to all my other devices via Sync Services. In other words, as soon as the GTD app syncs with iCal, BOOM! The data is everywhere: On my iPod, my Treo, my other Macs...
I agree - iGTD is now my front end and editing platform for my tasks and projects. Oh, I will add some to iCal when needed or my Palm, but it then gets synced back to iGTD. Why iCal? I've added things to it like mailtags and Mail Act-On which greatly add to iCal's GTD capabilities. Then there's the syncing to my Palm. I also use Quicksilver for quick insertions into iGTD. In all, I like the package I've put together; iCal is an integral part of it.

Has anyone tried Jumsoft's Process2?
http://jumsoft.com/process/

It's $39 for single user license, I downloaded the trial version and it looks pretty slick. I seem to recall that it has 2-way iCal synconiziation, is a true outliner, and to my surprise imports/exports OmnisOutliner and OPML files. It also has a resource area for documents and websites which seems useful.