The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Performance Problem ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a recent switcher from Things and imported entire database over. I'm recently finding OF interface a 2sec to 3sec delay when switching between context /projects/and perspectives. I was wondering if there any preferences that i can change to increase performance ?

iMac Specs: 2.4g dual - 4 gbs ram - Lion
Omniversion 1.9.4
1600+ tacks
140+ projects

Are all of those tasks and projects active? If a lot of that is completed stuff, you can archive it. This will keep your main database smaller, but you can still open up the archive file on your Mac any time you need to refer to it.

You can read more about this in the app's help, under the topic "Archiving old data".

By active you mean the 'status' of the project ? Then yes, there are lots of active projects. If projects are stored in folders, that are collapsed and not showing the content within it - would that help ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tado View Post
By active you mean the 'status' of the project ? Then yes, there are lots of active projects. If projects are stored in folders, that are collapsed and not showing the content within it - would that help ?
same question.
I don't want to archive, but I'd like to collapse everything except what i'm working on currently.

thanks

Switching between views involves a fair amount of on-the-fly computation of what's visible or not - that's generally what causes a pause like that.

If you bounce back and forth between various views frequently, one thing that may be helpful would be to open up multiple windows on your database. You can then use Command-` to cycle between the windows, which has much less overhead involved than actually switching the window back and forth between those views.

(I just noticed that myfre also opened a thread on a similar subject; merging 'em to keep information centralized.)

hi,
as omni backup document it's 15mb but exported with Rob's applescript to opml it's 3mb.
I assume the opml stripped all jpgs in the file?

could I manually search for all jpgs and delete some to lighten the file?

regarding keeping multiple windows open: I do this already and it is fast as you mention. but I have a fair bit of work ahead of me to break down content into more folders and that requires lots of clicking around, and currently 30sec to 1 minute delay every click.

hi,
I've used omnifocus for about a year now and my file has grown to 15mb.

I think since about 8mb (or maybe all along) it has been very slow.
whenever I click something in the left column (a folder) it takes 5 to 10 seconds to switch.

searching is also very slow.

usually this delay is without the colored spinning wheel, but sometimes it's there and takes even longer, like 30sec to 1 minute.

I compact it and rebuild it often, but no luck.

I've reinstalled my os -leopard.
I've reinstalled omni.

nothing helps.
the mac is 2.4ghz, 2gb ram so should not be a problem.

any ideas?

thanks very much.

hi again,
I geekbenched my mac to be sure it wasn't the problem. It's a 2.0ghz (not 2.4) running 10.6osx 2gb ram. 2756 was the score with firefox running 20 open tabs and itunes. (omni not running). so it's normal performance for this machine.

have you archived old tasks? (I archive anything over 6 weeks old)
do you use lots of attachments within OF?
How many tasks do you have in your database?
How many projects are you running?

If none of the suggestions above seem to help, please feel free to contact our Support Ninjas. They should be able to work with you one-on-one to figure out what's going wrong.

It'd probably be most helpful to email them (omnifocus@omnigroup.com) a sample taken while OmniFocus is being slow. To do this, open Activity Monitor and double click on OmniFocus in the list of processes. In the new window that opens, click the sample button. Save the sample as a text file, and attach it your email.