The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Due dates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I think it's neither you nor the interface. It's GTD, experience and expectations. I came into OF having tried a few other applications, after having read Getting Things Done and various websites a bunch. I had a very specific expectation for how a GTD, and a GTD application, should work.

I had a couple of specific project examples I used to test various features of GTD apps, and OF met my my needs most closely. And that was the key for me: I didn't try to jump in, dumping my dozens of projects, actions, etc. into OF. I already had a system (paper though it was), and I was just testing stuff out.

If you're coming to OF cold, with little or no experience using GTD, and no expectation for how a GTD app might work, you may have a tough time adjusting to OF. It uses languages and paradigms which are understood by GTD adherents, but perhaps not by those from other action-oriented organizing tools.

I found the best way to learn OF was to play. Toss in a project with actions you expect to show up in certain ways (a cooking receipe was mine) and see how the various filters, views, etc. affect it.
I think my biggest problem is moving from one paradigm, Life Balance to another paradigm, GTD. They do have some similarities but there are some striking differences. So far, I have found OF and GTD much more powerful and along with that a little harder to "wrap" my head around.

I'll be sure to play!

Cheers - RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardripley View Post
I think my biggest problem is moving from one paradigm, Life Balance to another paradigm, GTD. They do have some similarities but there are some striking differences. So far, I have found OF and GTD much more powerful and along with that a little harder to "wrap" my head around.
Several of us on the forums spent significant time using Life Balance. So you can get good help by asking questions like "In Life Balance I could do some-process-here. What's the best way to do that OF?"

Curt