The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mind Mapping Needs Improvement Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Before emailing the developers I wanted to see if others were of the same opinion as me (this thread seems to suggest so): OG is quiet poor at mind mapping and by that I mean it does not facilitate the job at all. The preset templates are either childish or not very usable esthetically ( that may be a personal preference ) but the actual branching "algorithm" yields poor trees.

Here is an example of a test mindmap I just did. I tried to play with the settings to get it to distribute the branches appropriately (without having to place them with the mouse, which is the whole point of having a mindmapping program) but to no avail.
If other users or the developers could comment on this or suggest hints/address that in upcoming releases that would be excellent.
Thanks

Last edited by alphonso; 2010-04-08 at 09:52 AM..

I suspect you intended to post that to the OmniGraffle forum. This is OmniFocus in here. (I agree with your sentiment vis a vis OG and mind mapping, but you're more likely to get a discussion about it in the other forum.)

Curt

MindNode is what I use. The pro version is a mere $20 and the non-pro, good for most purposes, version is free. There's also an iPhone app that syncs with MindNode Pro.

It also supports the OPML format, so you can import and export from OmniOutliner.

Mindnode Web Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
MindNode is what I use. The pro version is a mere $20 and the non-pro, good for most purposes, version is free. There's also an iPhone app that syncs with MindNode Pro.

It also supports the OPML format, so you can import and export from OmniOutliner.

Mindnode Web Site
After being frustrated by Omnigraffle's quirks, I also went to Mindnode... However, alphonso's original point is still valid- you should be able to tweak OmniGraffle's settings so that it operates nearly as smoothly as Mindnode, yet give you access to the graph by using the outline, etc. I'm just not skilled enough to fine tune it.