The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Syncing via Omni Sync Server
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Now accepting testing volunteers for the OmniFocus Mail Drop feature Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Jody, the server-based approach has many advantages to the device-side ones we were using before, but it has a few drawbacks, as well. This is one.

To assemble a link like the mail rule does, the server would need a bunch of information that just isn't as easily available to it. As an example, if you forward a message from your Windows computer, the server would need to somehow know how to assemble a link to that same message on your Mac.

Even if your mac was in your briefcase and hadn't actually fetched that message yet. The mail rule has the advantage of being something that ran inside of Mail, so it had access to that info when it created the action.

The mail drop feature filled a specific gap in my work flow. So great job on this feature. However, to make it usable it will be nice if the sync server can convert the original email as an attachment. Currently, none of the email clients on mobile devices allow forwarding an email as an attachment.

If this capability is there then I can just double click on the attachment to start responding to emails that need more than 2 minutes to take care of right away.

Thanks.

-ebi

I've had a quick test of this for setting up tasks when I'm on my work PC, and I've run up against an unexpected issue that will stop me being able to use this in practice..

My company automatically inserts a whole host of 'If you're not the intended recipient..... Company Details...' etc.. which has resulted in 2-3 paragraphs of 'notes' that are effectively junk in every task that I create.. Would it be possible to use some form of markup within the body of the text so that you can ignore any extra text that's being auto-generated?