The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

open imported data into template ? possible ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What I'd like to do is open a file exported from omniFocus into a template .
Is this possible ? I know I can start a new file with a template , but wasn't sure if I could pull imported data into one .

Possible with a script maybe ?

thanks for any help you can give me !

OmniFocus can't make a new file from a template either. Perhaps you're thinking of one of our other applications, like OmniOutliner or OmniPlan?

I read ext555's request a bit differently than you did, Lizard. I think what is being requested is the ability to export a bunch of actions/projects from OmniFocus, then import them into OmniPlan to develop a plan for doing them most efficiently. You can do that via the CSV support, but not with a template. It's also kind of a nuisance to do even if you don't need the template! And then, of course, if you persevere and build up a project plan, it was a one-way, one-time transfer of the data, so you'll have to mark progress in both places, and hopefully you had the good sense to do it all right the first time!

It's possible there might be some opportunity here for closer integration in a future release, maybe :-)

whpalmer4 , that's exactly what I'm asking for ! : )
Sorry Lizard, I should have been more specific , I thought since I was posting in OP forum that you'd know what application I was referring to .

I do export my flagged projects from OF for the week via CSV into OP-it's just a pain to have to keep re-creating the resource and the columns I want [actually I keep a dummy project set up with the resources I need and just copy them ]

It would be so much easier to " import " data from OF into an existing template in OP . Does that clear it up ?

I know that closer integration is in the plans for 2.0, but right now all I'm trying to do is make sure I actually have enough time to work on the projects that I tell my Boss I'm going to ; )

Actually, it's been working very well for me , I'm just trying to make it a little easier .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
Sorry Lizard, I should have been more specific , I thought since I was posting in OP forum that you'd know what application I was referring to .
I make this same mistake all the time. If you go to the main forum listing and click the "new posts" button, you get all of the new posts for all of the forums. After opening them all to the newest addition in new tabs, I go through one-by-one reading and occasionally answering, and it's easy to fail to notice which forum the thread is in. I've told a bunch of iPhone OmniFocus users to use features that don't exist on the iPhone this way! I've now learned that if the answer to a question seems too obvious to me, I should probably make sure I'm in the proper forum :-)

Quote:
I do export my flagged projects from OF for the week via CSV into OP-it's just a pain to have to keep re-creating the resource and the columns I want [actually I keep a dummy project set up with the resources I need and just copy them ]
Depending on how much resource stuff you have in your template, it might be easier to open the exported OmniFocus data, select it all and copy it into the template rather than trying to copy the dummy project into the exported file. A minor optimization, to be sure, but if you've got the work week set up, a handful of different resources, etc. it might save you some time.

Thanks ! that's a good idea , I'll give that a try . It should paste in just the same [or close to it ] as opening the import I would think ? only 3 " human " resources each with different units and efficiency it's just tedious to keep setting the columns up etc ..

and I tried it, but paste won't work , it makes the whole edit into one long task . I opened the csv file , it opened in excel and then I copied it and tried to paste in .

it's not that big a deal to keep with the way I'm doing it , I was just looking to eliminate a few steps .

Last edited by ext555; 2008-10-21 at 02:18 PM..

[Yup. That's pretty much exactly what I did. Sorry all.]

Here's a super-quick copy/paste script that just handles task names. Would it be useful if it copied any other properties too?

Code:
set names to {}
tell application "OmniFocus"
	tell content of front window
		repeat with t in selected trees
			set names to names & name of t
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell

names

tell application "OmniPlan"
	tell child task 1 of front document
		repeat with n in names
			set foo to make new task
			set name of foo to n
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell
Select some tasks in Focus, run the script (you can stick it in the OmniFocus toolbar if you like), and the tasks will be added to your open Plan document.

EDIT: Yes, I realize it would be better if we just added sensible copy/paste support, and I've added your comments to that bug. But I thought this workaround might be helpful in the meantime.

Awesome ! thanks so much Lizard : )
if it copied duration it would be perfect !