The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My iPhone OF experience today. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I thought I'd share my experience with omnifocus on the iPhone today.

I have just sold my 2g iPhone on eBay and wanted to send it to the winning bidder as soon as possible. I know how excited I was when I first bought my iPhone and considering the winning bidder paid straight away I thought it was fair to be as quick posting it.

As I would normally do, I created a task in omnifocus on my mac to send the iPhone to this person including his address details. I was of course thinking I would use this information once I got to the post office and copy the address over onto the package.

I made my way to the postoffice and whilst walking I loaded omnifocus on my iPhone to sync with the server and get that task loaded on the iPhone.
It takes me 7 minutes to walk to the postoffice so iPhone was syncing, and syncing, and syncing whilst me holding it in my hand preventing it from going into sleep. Every time the iPhone would dim I would tap just to avoid sleep knowingly that if it went to sleep I would maybe have to start the syncing process all over again.
Five minutes later the iphone was still syncing so I thought if I put it back in my pocket, it might, just might sync all the info in sleep and the address details I need would be ready for me once I got to the post office.

In the post office I got my package ready and got my iphone out of my pocket and switched it on. Turns out OmniFocus quit and had no intention of going through the whole process again but rather resort to finding the original email and retrieve the postal details. I launched OmniFocus and after 3!!!!! Minutes it finally loaded. I navigated to my tasks to see if the task I need was there, turns out, it did sync and those details were there for me to copy from (great). Whilst I was writing the address, OmniFocus quit. This is when I realized that email is the way forward. I tracked the email from the winning bidder and copied the details over…simple.

This is just one example of never ending difficulties with OmniFocus for the iPhone. Whilst these kind of tasks should be simple and swift, OmniFocus for the iPhone turns them into a total waste of time.

I love OmniFocus for the mac, I use it daily and I don’t know how my life would be without it. OmniGroup have done a terrific job on the desktop app. Its totally rock solid, reliable and fast, everything you would want from a GTD Application. OmniFocus for the iPhone is totally the opposite; totally unreliable and very slow. I have tried, rebuilding the database, optimizing it on the desktop, deleting the file on MobileMe, syncing all over again and still nothing. I consider myself pretty clued up about macs. If i am having these kind of problems, what happens to people that don't really know how all this stuff work ...including this forum.

This is not a rant at OmniGroup but a plea to make OmniFucus for iPhone an app that deserves to be the best iPhone application out there. If this is the most expensive GTD app in the AppStore, surely one would expect it to be reliables and “pretty fast”. I am not asking for impossible here ..there are many apps in the AppStore and I have not yet come across one that is as unreliable as OmniFocus.

Omni, please, update!

Syncing should not be taking 5 minutes (unless you are attaching lots of files between each sync or something) and loading should not be taking 3+ minutes.
On your Mac, open up the sync preferences pane and click the "Clients" button. Make sure there is exactly one listing there for each machine you sync. (One for your Mac, one for your iPhone, one for your laptop if you have one...) If there are any extras, you should probably unregister them.

We do not expect people to have to regularly check this pane once OmniFocus for Mac is a final stable release. However, we've had to tweak a few things as it's still in Sneaky Peek which can cause extra client registrations to show up.

If the registrations all seem to be in order and syncing doesn't speed up within a couple hours, or if you have any questions about this, please email our Support Ninjas (omnifocus@omnigroup.com)