The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reordering actions in 1.5 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi. I just bought a new ipad and took the plunge on this excellent app. I am reading over the OF for ipad manual and it says I should be able to reorder my actions within a project by touching and holding the action and then using the handle on the right to drag and drop.

When I touch and hold an action it only gives me the option to cut, copy, and paste. I see no handles. I've tried this in portrait and landscape mode, both in the Project section as well as the context section.

Anybody else having this issue? Any suggestions on a fix?

From the in-app help:
Quote:
To move an item: tap the edit button in the toolbar, then press and drag the handle that appears on the right side of the item entry.
It sounds like you missed the "tap the edit button" step. Or maybe the manual on the website isn't as clear about this.

The manual is out of date in that regard. You're looking at the one on the Omni website, dated 10/10 on the cover, right?

To rearrange actions in a project, you tap the Edit button in the top center of the screen, then use the drag handles (3 horizontal lines at the right end of the row) to move items into the desired spots. Tap Done when done. If you want to move an item into a different level in the hierarchy, you can move it into that level via drag and drop as described above if there's something already there, but you cannot make it the first such action that way, and you cannot directly drag it to be the last action in the group. To make the first action in a group, tap the action you want to indent to bring up the editor, tap the Info button if you aren't already in that section, then tap the Move button. You will get a list of potential destinations; tap one, then Done. To drag an action to be the last action in a group, first drag it to be the penultimate action, then drag the last action before it.

You guys ROCK. Thanks for the quick replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
It sounds like you missed the "tap the edit button" step. Or maybe the manual on the website isn't as clear about this.
Yep, the copy linked off the OmniFocus Support page doesn't talk about the Edit button.

To reorder your actions, touch and hold an action then use the handle on the right to drag.
It doesn't make any mention of the more advanced parts of drag and drop editing, and the text about moving items (which I think many people would instinctively home in on when they want to reorder their actions) isn't helpful for reordering actions.

The built-in help combines reordering and moving text from the online manual, but I think it glosses over the difference between reordering your actions and moving things into different projects, and doesn't make it clear that you can move more than one item per tap of the Edit button.

I appreciate the desire to fit the help pages onto a single screen in the app, but there ought to be a more comprehensive (and correct!) version of the documentation somewhere...