The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Font issues when emailing PDFs from OG for iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
No one, including me, can read pdf files created by OG on the iPad. It appears to be a font issue. I have to email the files to myself, open them in preview and send them to the final recipient from Preview. This may be an Adobe problem, but OG for the iPad is the only app that's created the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voila_Capture70.png
Views:	857
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1418  

KCWookie, I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing!

We're seeing reports of this problem in our applications as well as in Apple's iWork applications for the iPad. It appears that PDFs produced on the iPhone OS work there and in OS X's Preview.app.

Unfortunately, the embedded font information is not rendering properly in just about any other PDF viewer. (Anecdotally, we've heard that Helvetica Neue works better than standard Helvetica, if that helps.)

We have a bug open on this issue in our tracker, and we've communicated the problem to Apple. Unfortunately, this is very unlikely to be something we can fix in our own code; we believe it'll need to be fixed by a future Software Update for iPads.

There's some more information here on Apple's support forums, if it helps.

As a workaround in the meantime, if you have OmniGraffle for the Mac, you can create the document on the iPad, then perform the export using your Mac instead. Again, we're really sorry for the trouble this is causing.

I have actually had similar problems with Pages exporting to PDF but agreed it would be nice for this to work

I am getting bullet points at the end of each line of text and when I open the PDF on my PC, I get an error about embedded fonts. I don't have Mac so hoping Apple can address this font issue in future iPad OS update.

i live/work in a dual world. love my macs, but have to use wintel at work. the problem i'm having is with fonts not translating well in the wintel world within the pdf's i'm making with the program. probably doesn't help that i'm still on xp at work.

does omni have a list of preferred fonts to use that would translate well? i've tried some of the obvious (for example; arial), but the pdf had dots added at the end of the text labels.

appreciate the help.

sounds like i'm not the only one with this problem.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16331

yep, same problem here. i keep trying other fonts, but no improvement. thanks for the info.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=17413

sgecko, thanks for linking to that thread - I've edited the title of that one to make it more applicable to the problem you had. Gonna merge this thread with that one next...

Yikes, this just created a huuuge issue for me not having access to the one Mac that might be able to export all the work done in a working session with a client and not knowing about this bug until too late.

As an irksome but useful workaround, if you save as a photo to the Photos app that comes bundled with the iPad and open the image up in that app, you can email a correct-looking image to yourself or a client from THAT app.

This would be a lovely feature workaround Omni Group could add to the app in the meantime to eliminate the Photo app step, too, in case y'all are taking requests.