The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Blocking a specific cookie Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What site and which cookie (if you can be more specific)? Usually the site-specific preferences work great for me, I could give it a try if you want.

Quote:
If you open the Cookie Sheet (by clicking on the Cookie icon in the status bar at the bottom), you can select a cookie and change its status to Rejected.
Am I to understand that if you do this, then theat cookie is supposed to be rejected from now on? If yes, that would be most excellent. But it seems from the original poster's comments that's not the case.

I can see where this would be useful. For example, some sites have useful cookies like site preferences or remembering a login. But they also have, from the same domain, site tracking cookies I'd rather block.

Quote:
Does adding the domain you'd like to prevent cookies from to the ad block list work?
I don't think this works. I've got .*adbrite\.com/.* on my block list, yet the site www.popoholic.com seems to be able to set a cookie with the domain .adbrite.com

I guess that makes sense since the cookie is technically coming from popoholic but no data is transferred from adbrite.

Last edited by troyb; 2007-07-27 at 07:12 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Am I to understand that if you do this, then that cookie is supposed to be rejected from now on?
Troy, can you clarify the behavior here?

Well what I was thinking is that OmniWeb was allowing the cookie through because it was getting created by popoholic (and pointing to the ad site). But I'm actually not seeing this now. Deleting the cookie, adding "adbrite" to the blacklist and reloading the page seems to be working for me.

Code:
2007-07-27 20:22:58  filtering http://4.adbrite.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=105137&br=1&dk=7469636b6574735f345f325f776562 for document http://www.popoholic.com/
2007-07-27 20:22:58  Tx:
GET /meter.asp?site=s24popoholic&refer=&ip=76.22.99.143&w=1440&h=900&clr=24&tzo=420&lang=en&pg=http%3A//www.popoholic.com/&js=1&rnd=0.22150965883466864 HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Referer: http://www.popoholic.com/
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US) AppleWebKit/522+ (KHTML, like Gecko, Safari/522) OmniWeb/v611

FWIW there should be no way popoholic.com could set or read a cookie from adbrite.com. That would be a huge security hole!

Now to Handycam who has .*adbrite\.com/.* in his block list. I am not quite sure how OW works but I think possibly as these are regexes there is confusion to what the / do. If the / in a block filter are actually delimiters for the regex (which I am guessing they probably are) then that could be why it is failing. Try blocking /.*\.adbrite\.com/ instead and see if that fixes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous
FWIW there should be no way popoholic.com could set or read a cookie from adbrite.com. That would be a huge security hole!
That's a good point. Silly of me to think otherwise.

Quote:
Now to Handycam who has .*adbrite\.com/.* in his block list. I am not quite sure how OW works but I think possibly as these are regexes there is confusion to what the / do. If the / in a block filter are actually delimiters for the regex (which I am guessing they probably are) then that could be why it is failing. Try blocking /.*\.adbrite\.com/ instead and see if that fixes it.
Handycam's expresion should work. OmniWeb validates each expression as they are entered and marks invalid expressions red to make it easier to identify problems.